[Sosfbay-discuss] CRASH! Congress Rejects Bailout! Wall Street Plunges!

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Mon Sep 29 13:58:58 PDT 2008

Dear Friends,

Events are unfolding so quickly, It is impossible even to blog on it.

I hate to say "I told you so," but Alex Walker has been saying *FOR
YEARS* that the breakdown of the political system in the United States
goes way beyond the usual, banal "Liberals" versus "Conservatives"
stuff and way beyond the supposed "excesses" of the 1960's.  The
disintegration of U.S. has my generation has known it, is taking place
before our very eyes.

The "leadership" of "The-One-Corporate-Party-With-Two-Names" threw
everything they had into those $700 Wall Street Bailout and the House
of Representatives, obviously terrified by a shitstorm from the voters,
voted it down.  Now, I have just read a "Breaking News" story on the
New York Times web site that the New York Stock Exchange has plunged
700 points.

What do I mean when I say the "Old Politics" is shattering?

Cannot get a tally of all the
votes because the House Online database is literally offline.  For
awhile America Online would not even let me send this e-mail.  Either
the Internet is overwhelmed or the Bush-Cheney coup d'etat is already
underway.

Check out this exchange as reported by the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/30/business/30bailout.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

The House debate was heated and, occasionally, emotional up to the
last minute, as illustrated by the remarks of two California lawmakers.

Representative Darrell Is
sa,
a Republican, said he was “resolute” in his opposition to the measure
because it would betray party principles and amount to “a coffin on top
of Ronald Reagan’s coffin.”

But Representative Maxine Waters,
a Democrat, said the measure was vital to help financial institutions
survive and keep people in their homes. “There’s plenty of blame to go
around,” she said, and attachi
ng blame should come later.

I never thought I'd
live to see the day when I'd be closer to Darrell than Maxine on
anything, but "My Sistah" is a good corporate Democrat doing what Nancy
Pelosi and Barrack Obama want her to do.  Barney Frank from Boston is
the Democratic Chairman of the House Finance & Banking Committee
and floor manager of the bailout bill.  Frank is also a "super liberal"
and also one of the first openly gay members of Congress.  Frank was
also a big booster for Fannie Mae and takes a lot of campaign cash from
Boston's financial Big Boys.   I don't know, but I assume Charles
Rangel, Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee and also
longtime congressman from Harlem, must have sided with the Dem
leadership.

I hope I don't offend
anyone but
the bullshit "Culture War" over sex, race, and "lifestyles" that has
dominated U.S. politics for most of the last twenty years is s-o-o-o-o
over.

As a Green Party man who rejects both wings of the One-Corporate-Party-With-Two-Names, I can o
nly weep for my country.

Alex Walker
Los Angeles Greens