[Sosfbay-discuss] Harper's's Scott Horton at Stanford Law School Wednesday

Fred Duperrault fredd at freeshell.org
Fri Apr 3 11:05:33 PDT 2009

    The Green Party should make accountability of Bush-Cheney
    Adminiatration an important item of the action agenda.

The "Harpers" article  reveals how  Obama is  backing out of his
"intention" to take up the issue of accountability. The Green Party
called for impeachment early on.  Shouldn't we, now, be raising hell
about Obama's evasion of bringing justice and allowing the dangerous
precedent to remain unchallenged?
Fred D.

    *I'm told that "The Accountability Imperative", a speech  Harper's's
    Scott Horton gave at Amnesty Int'l on 3/28/09 greatly resembles his
    remarks at Stanford Law School Wednesday.    I've cut his text from
    almost 2800 words to a bit over 1600 below in hopes of achieving a
    wider audience.  For his original, unvandalized work, see   *

    http://www.harpers.org/archive/2009/03/hbc-90004641

    * *

    The Accountability Imperative   (abridged version)

      Obama's campaign rhetoric opposed torture as strongly as that of
McCain, who said “Torture is the defining issue of our age.” In his
first two days as president, Obama banned torture techniques, terminated
the Bush Administration’s practice of extraordinary renditions through
which persons were snatched and sent off to other countries to be
tortured, and suspended the Guantánamo tribunals. He fulfilled his
campaign commitments, but we're not done yet. How we close this question
will define us to the world and to future generations.
    Consider these developments:
*Criminal Investigations Begin in Spain*
March 28, Spanish newspapers reported that the Audencia Nacional
Española, the Spanish national security court, has opened a criminal
investigation into the Bush Administration’s torture practices at
Guantánamo. Targets include:

    *

      John Yoo, former deputy assistant attorney general at the Justice
      Department’s Office of Legal Counsel (OLC), now a professor of law
      at UC Berkeley;

    *

      David Addington, former legal counsel and chief-of-staff to Cheney;

    *

      Jay Bybee, former assistant attorney general at the OLC and now a
      federal appeals judge for the Ninth Circuit;

    *

      Alberto Gonzales, former White House legal counsel and attorney
      general;

    *

      William J. Haynes II, former general counsel at the DoD, now a
      lawyer at Chevron;

    * Douglas Feith, former Undersecretary of Defense, now a senior
      fellow at the Hudson Institute

     What inspired Spain, a NATO ally of the USA which actively
supported Bush's war on terror and sent troops to Iraq and Afghanistan,
to a criminal investigation of Bush’s torture lawyers? In July 2006, the
Spanish Supreme Court concluded that the evidence of torture at
Guantánamo was substantial; it labeled the facility a “legal black
hole,” and barred official Spanish cooperation with its operation. The
current investigation grows out of a probe of the mistreatment of
Spaniards held at Guantánamo. The prosecution's cache of 6,000 pages of
Bush Administration documents includes extensive evidence that the
targets conspired to introduce torture at Guantánamo by crafting a legal
“golden shield” for those who implemented the torture policies. The
criminal complaint quite properly views the torture memoranda as
evidence of a conspiracy to introduce and authorize a regime of torture,
and notes that the team met and conspired together regularly.
    The investigation is managed by Judge Baltasar Garzón Real, who
prosecuted Basque terrorist groups and is credited with having broken
Basque separatist terrorism, headed a criminal probe into Al Qaeda in
North Africa, and prosecuted Chilean General Augusto Pinochet. Garzón is
not the sort to be stymied or bullied by politicians.
*A Criminal Probe in Britain, Too*
     On March 26, Lady Scotland (Attorney General for England and Wales)
answered a parliamentary inquiry by announcing that she had conferred
with the Crown Prosecution Service about the start of a criminal
investigation in Britain of the CIA's rendition of Binyam Mohamed to
Morocco and Pakistan for torture. Mr. Mohamed has said CIA agents or
British intelligence agents were frequently present during the periods
in which he was tortured. Demands by High Court judges and pressure from
parliament has yielded a British criminal probe into these crimes.
*A Steady Stream of Confessions from Bush Officials*
    Lately Bush Administration officials ave begun acknowledging that
torture occurred with Bush’s approval. Susan J. Crawford, the senior
Bush Administration figure responsible for detainee treatment at Gitmo
told the /Washington Post/ that her legal conclusion was that a prisoner
had been tortured in a regime approved by Donald Rumsfeld. (1) Colin
Powell’s chief-of-staff Col. Lawrence Wilkerson acknowledged that the
Bush Administration knew all along that 90 percent of the Guantánamo
detainees were guilty of nothing, but held them, presumably because
admitting their innocence would be bad politics. March 27 Vijay
Padmanabhan, a State Department lawyer responsible for detainee cases,
publicly labeled Bush’s “enhanced interrogation techniques” as
"torture". (2)
    Articles 4, 5 and 7 of the Convention Against Torture, to which the
United States is a party, require the USA to make torture a serious
crime and to investigate any credible reports. Under 18 U.S.C. sec. 2340
and 2340A torture and conspiracy to commit torture are felonies. Are Ms.
Crawford's quasi-judicial determination that torture occurred and public
admissions by other officials not “credible evidence”? When our closest
allies do criminal investigations of Bush's crimes, how can our own
Justice Department do /nothing/?
    We know part of the answer. The former attorney general, Michael B.
Mukasey, improperly blocked any investigation of torture done under
Bush's authority. At Justice Department premises, criminal acts were
plotted, supervised and implemented--and suspects in the latest Spanish
case include Mukasey’s predecessor as attorney general and two other
senior Justice Department officers.
    A senior foreign dignitary who recently asked Eric Holder why he
does nothing characterized Holder's answer as “senseless twaddle.” Even
calls for a commission of inquiry on Bush’s torture program—which
remains enshrouded in secrecy and lies—draw scoffs from TV chatterboxes:
"the Republicans will bring Washington to a stand-still," they say.
Childish tantrums must not hold sway. Spare the rod and spoil the child.
    Leave well enough alone, turn the page, we are told. Forget it, move
along. But accountability is essential to our nation and our world. I’ll
give you three reasons why.
*Ending Torture Precedents*
    While we're celebrating Obama's executive orders ending torture,
let's remember that what a President does by executive order, he or his
successor can undo with a stroke of the pen. Our society is governed by
precedent. If we don't call Bush to account for eight years of torture,
its precedent can be cited and followed by subsequent administrations,
lodged like some lethal bacillus in the fabric of our society, dormant,
ready to emerge again. Obama's orders can't protect us from this torture
legacy. That is not an acceptable resolution, or any resolution at all.
Only a process of formal accountability can end the precedential effect.
*Security*
   America’s last warrior-president understood that our national
security cannot be grounded in force. “Only justice, fairness,
consideration, and cooperation can finally lead men to the dawn of
eternal peace,” insisted Dwight D. Eisenhower. His view was unswerving
that America must not give up its values to achieve “security.”
    America emerged on the international stage before World War II
holding high the banner of human rights, leading by combining its
strength, wealth, and technology with its fundamental ideals of
“inalienable rights”, of a “decent respect” for the opinion of our
fellow nations, of a command to know and observe the “laws of nations.”
In the war years, America invoked the Four Freedoms, and in victory
called for a restatement of the rights and obligations of nations in
terms that commanded respect for the individual. That dawn of the true
era of human rights glowed with the cinders of the holocaust.
    No nation can always live up to its ideals, but none of our slips
and falters have ever shamed and soiled our banner as Bush's stain of
torture. It can not be swept aside easily, but must be worked at with
attention and care.
    Barack Obama's promises to once more take up leadership among
nations, demonstrating again our respect for human dignity and the rule
of law can be credible only if we purge the Bush taint through
accountability. If America truly upholds the laws of war, and truly
believes torture is a crime, then those who while occupying positions of
power and trust consciously violated the law must be held to account. We
must ferret out the truth and apply the punishments the law requires.
The process must respect the accuseds' rights and afford them every
opportunity to make a defense. It may entail clemency or pardon for
some. To “move on” and ignore what happened is not justice—it is a
decision to spurn accountability, a wink to those who may engage in
torture and abuse in the future.
*Are We All Torturers Now?*
    Gross human rights abusers in the modern era have a tried and proven
defense: by implicating society as a whole, as Mark Danner argues, they
spread the guilt and blame as broadly as possible to inoculate
themselves against future accountability. Since April 2004 we have known
of the Abu Ghraib photos, but we've done little to stop such practices.
We elected a government committed to end torture, but is torture really
ended without accountability?
    The Obama Administration can’t address every problem at the start,
and our current crises take priority. Accountability may take time. But
with every day that passes in which Obama's team uses Bush tricks to
cover up past abuses; every crime it perceives and fails to investigate,
Obama slowly takes ownership of the Bush crimes. America need not take
on the shame and guilt of the Bush years. Upholding the law and holding
accountable those who violated it need not be a traumatic process, and
may forge a new national consensus as past sins are expiated. Turning
away from this important duty would be a grave error.
    Amnesty International has existed for more than three decades. It
has documented and memorialized past wrongdoing, protected the victims,
and held those in positions of power and authority to account for their
lawlessness. Amnesty’s broad-based call for action provides the
essential map to take America out of her current dilemma. We can, we
must demand accountability, seeking not vengeance but justice we owe to
ourselves and to future generations. We are defining the world they will
inhabit. We can't eradicate torture, but we can ensure that it's a crime
and torturers and their abettors will be held to account. That is within
our grasp, if we fight for it.

1.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/13/AR2009011303372_2.html

2.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gjD0weHpCkMwMc94iRSiCgw0UAMQD976KNNG0

Rediscover Hotmail®: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox. Check
it out.
<http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_Updates1_042009>