[Sosfbay-discuss] "The Accountability Imperative"

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 4 10:50:08 PDT 2009

Hi Rob,

   Andrew Sullivan recently put forth the theory that by appearing to do
nothing, Obama was making Cheney crazy with waiting so he "puts
his head in the noose".  (1)

   Noting that Bush and Rice had declined to criticize the new president,
Sullivan said that for Cheney to comment at all was "unseemly and
unusual," and added that Cheney's remarks were were tantamout to
accusing Obama of treason.  Sullivan says that "coming out so
forcefully and so publicly.... intent on asserting that the torture
programme he set
up was legal, moral and defensible.... he may come
to regret making that move...."

    Sullivan also discusses the impending release of three "ugly" 2005
memos about torture practices.  Now CIA director Leon Panetta is
trying to block their declassification.  Jameel Jaffer, an ACLU lawyer,
said "This is arguably the most important
test thus far of the Obama
administration's commitment to transparency." (2)

   Though Horton seems to credit Obama with ending the extraordinary
rendition program; Sullivan says it was only rolled back to Clinton-era
standards--which sucked.  I am not very confident that we will get
Congress to undertake an investigation of Bush tortures, because any
honest probe will uncover Pelosi's complicity and the history under
Clinton.

    Clinton started such renditions in 1995 after Gore said "Of course it's
illegal. That's why it's a covert op."  They flew a kidnapped prisoner to
Egypt in that year, and George Tenet told the 9/11 Commission that
several dozen renditions were done before 9/11.  The CIA's Michael
Scheuer said they could send a question to the Egyptian interrogators
in the morning and get an answer from the detainee by the afternoon.
Later he told a subcommittee of the House Committee on Foreign
Affairs:

   "I have read and been told that Mr. Clinton, Mr. Berger and Mr. Clarke

    have said, since 9/11, that they insisted that each receiving country

    treat the rendered person it received according to U.S. legal
standards.
    To the best of my memory, that is a lie."

    I can't resist a buit of moralizing:  This is what's wrong with just even a
little bit of wrong-doing, even for a good cause. Your doings will be cited by
those who come after you as justification for much greater wrongs done for
bad causes, and will help them escape accountability.

1.  http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/andrew_sullivan/article5992569.ece

2.  http://www.newsweek.com/id/192314/page/1