[Sosfbay-discuss] July 4-th festival cancellation

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 14 14:39:58 PDT 2009

The way I read this is that the entire festival is cancelled.
I received this notice via email from the producer of the festival.

*April 13, 2009

2009 SAN JOSE AMERICA FESTIVAL & FIREWORKS SHOW CANCELLED

*Citing current economic conditions leading to decreased levels of
public and private funding, Filco Events regretfully announces the
cancellation of the 2009 America Festival and Fireworks Show, scheduled
for the 4th of July weekend in San Jose.

“The public safety costs of producing a free fireworks show over the
downtown streets and freeways are staggering,” says producer
Fil Maresca of Filco. “I have always been astounded at the coordinated
efforts of our city, county, and state safety officers to bring hundreds of
thousands into the area for a 20 minute show, then get them safely home
in less than an hour. But those efforts don't come cheap.”

Traditionally, these costs are paid for by the festival itself, through
city grants,
local sponsorships, and festival revenue. This year, with an alarming
reduction
in both public and private support, the festival revenue can no longer
expect
to make up this significant shortfall.

“This is certainly a year where we could all use some great free
entertainment,”
Maresca says. “But the money just isn't there.”