[Sosfbay-discuss] Fair Elections Act

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Sat Aug 29 10:13:39 PDT 2009

Palm Haven Handyman wrote:
> Wes,
>
> Please dumb it down for me.  Should I be supporting this thing or agin it?
>
> I favor electoral reform.
My "dumb it down" is really that the devil is in the details and that we
should have gone through the details before jumping in and supporting
this. However, endorsing the meeting is OK if we think that there will
be substantive discussion.

So, here is the crux of the matter.

1. This is not a truly fair-to-all-parties proposition.  It favors
larger parties.
2.  The Green Party should be considered to be on the cusp.  Maybe this
is a tipping point for us. The results could help / hinder the Green
Party depending on how well we can organize and execute a real plan to
elect a Secretary of State in 2014.  The goal would be to get 20K people
to contribute $5 for a Green Party Candidate.
3.  If you don't think that we are ready for the big time, then you
should be "agin it".
4.  If you think that favoring larger parties is patently unfair, then
that is another reason to be "agin it."

So... it the Green Party a "larger party"? Can we get 20K Greens to
donate $5?

Can we get a credible candidate to run for Secretary of State in the
next two elections?

In the 2006 election, we had good candidate.  In fact, Forrest Hill
presented the best plan for re-apportionment / revising the state
legislature that has yet been put forward for ANY party.  It was simple,
easy to understand, and it would have worked.

If we can't get a constitutional convention passed, then Hill's plan
should be revived.

Wes

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024