[Sosfbay-discuss] Fair Elections Act

Jim Stauffer jims at greens.org
Sat Aug 29 19:25:43 PDT 2009

We had this discussion at the state meeting a few years back when this
initiative was first making the rounds.

What I remember of the discussion is that it definitely treats minor
parties as second-class citizens -- higher threshold and less funding.

But, there was simply no way the Republicrats would allow equality. We
are basically taking what we can get.

But the non-partisan groups involved with this are sympathetic to our
complaints, providing an opening to revisit the issue in the future.

The eternal question in politics is whether to compromise and take a
small step forward, or hold out for your position. That can be a tough call.

Jim