[Sosfbay-discuss] Obama's War

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 3 02:27:01 PST 2009

   President Obama had a splendid opportunity to end the wars.
Whether by declaring them flawed victories or tragic mistakes, he
could have withdrawn from Bush's foolish invasions.

   By sending more troops to fight and die for no good reason,
Obama makes the war his own and commits himself for the rest of
his term.   18 months from now with a thousand more Americans
dead and surely tens of thousands of Afghans and Iraqis, will Obama
admit his own tragic mistake?  Doubtless he will press on in the vain
hope that throwing away more lives will redeem those already spent.

  In eight years we've been unable to train the Afghans to provide
for their own security.  Why think we can do it now?  The corruption
and incompetence of our Afghan allies brook comparison with that of
our allies in Vietnam forty years ago.

   We complicate the issue when we take responsibility for protecting
the women of Afghanistan from the men of Afghanistan.  Policing human
rights violations is a job for the United Nations--not for the United States,
with its numerous conflicts of interest in prosecuting the war that belie
any claimed concerns for human rights.

   Bush's invasion of Iraq was an illegal aggressive war against a country
that was no threat to us.  Afghanistan was too, though in post-9/11
hysteria this went unrecognized.  Taliban had offered to turn over Osama
if we showed evidence of his guilt.  Obama could have washed his hands
of Bush's criminal blunders.  In continuing them he has condoned them
and made them his own.

Get gifts for them and cashback for you. Try Bing now.