[Sosfbay-discuss] "Farmer" Stewart Resnick -- the Joys of "Bipartisanship"

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Tue Dec 8 14:22:37 PST 2009

Dear Green Friends,

See, all we have to do to fix things in this country is to get the"best and the brightest" Republicans and Democrats to sit down at a bigtable and . . .

Posted on California Greening
"Farmer" Stewart Resnick -- the Joys of "Bipartisanship"
by Alex Walker

Almost every stupid thing that happens in California has thefingerprints of U.S. Sen. Diane Feinstein. However, the strange saga ofDelta "farmer" Stewart Resnick illustrates the Joys of"bipartisanship."

Published in The San Francisco Chronicle, December 6, 2009
 Major Donor Got Feinstein's Help on Delta Plan
by Lance Williams, California Watch

Wealthy corporate farmer Stewart Resnick has written check after checkto U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein's political campaigns. He's hosted aparty in her honor at his Beverly Hills mansion and he's entertainedher at his second home in Aspen.

And in September, when Resnick asked Feinstein to weigh in onthe side of agribusiness in a drought-fueled environmental dispute overthe Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta, this wealthy grower andpolitical donor got quick results, documents show.

On Sept. 4, Resnick wrote to Feinstein, complaining that thelatest federal plan to rescue the delta's endangered salmon and shadfisheries was "exacerbating the state's severe drought" because it cutback on water available to irrigate crops. "Sloppy science" by federalwildlife agencies had led to "regulatory-induced water shortages," heclaimed.

"I really appreciate your involvement in this issue," he wrote to Feinstein.

One week later, Feinstein forwarded Resnick's letter to twoU.S. Cabinet secretaries. In her own letter, she urged theadministration to spend $750,000 for a sweeping re-examination of thescience behind the entire delta environmental protection plan.

The Obama administration quickly agreed. . .

Please Read the Full Text and Leave a Comment at my blog:

California Greening:
  http://cagreening.blogspot.com/2009/12/farmer-stewart-resnick-joys-of.html