[Sosfbay-discuss] OpEd Submitted for Tuesday's Morgan Hill Times.

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Sun Dec 27 10:33:41 PST 2009

I was flipping through the channels past mindless infomercials and
self-important sports commentators looking for something that we tell me
to pay attention when I chanced on the end of Mr. Smith Goes to
Washington and Jimmy Stewart reminded me that “Lost causes are the only
ones worth fighting for.” It is with that in mind that I review some of
those topics that I have written about in the past and will continue to
write about even though they sometimes seem to be a lost cause.

*Climate Change: * It would be difficult this month, following the
inconclusive conclusion of the UN Climate Change Conference (COP15) in
Copenhagen, to not write about climate change. The one thing that did
happen was an unofficial agreement that it was dangerous to mess with
the status quo, even though the status quo is what got us into this
predicament in the first place.

Mainstream journalism does not do their job on this topic, choosing to
make the story about a made up controversy over emails rather than about
the facts that any observant being can see all around us. Environmental
organizations do not make it easier to get the story right, with their
focus on far off fauna and polar bears floating on a melting ice pack in
the arctic. Had they focused on the fact that many insects are now able
to have an additional generation each year in a warming climate, a fact
that threatens our food supply, we may have paid more attention.

Still, with every new piece of scientific evidence making a stronger
case for man-caused climate change linked to the emissions of greenhouse
gasses, primarily CO2 and methane, the American public's assessment of
the situation is diverging from the facts that are noted. Most climate
scientists will admit to error, but the errors we have been seeing are
those that arose from underestimating the effects rather than
over-hyping what they had documented earlier.

*Water Planning: *California may or may not be coming out of a drought.
Even with the heavy rains we had earlier, we are tracking only slightly
above normal in a year with a moderately strong El Niño. If that
continues, we may have a normal year by with depleted reservoir levels,
not return to normal. That is only one part of the problem.

Maybe a more important issue deals with ground water, the way we measure
it (or don't) and what we have done over the years. Un-restricted
pumping of ground water leads inevitably to subsidence, a sinking of the
ground when the earth settles into the space where water used to be. We
should know all about the area around Alviso, now below sea level. We
may not be as familiar with subsidence in the San Joaquin Valley where
28 feet of subsidence was documented by 1977 and they have not stopped
pumping it yet.

Ground water is important for California and yet, the legislation that
came out of the special session of the legislature this fall (SBX7.6)
only “mandates” ground water monitoring but is unenforceable, unfunded
and mostly relies on volunteerism with no recourse when well owners fail
to volunteer. It was a costly charade that must be exposed and the
situation corrected.

Then, comes the question of paying for groundwater. We know that the
Santa Clara Valley Water District spends money to recharge the aquifer
under South County. We also know that their accounting has been
questionable, that they have been charged with double dipping and that
they lost a law suit over a violation of the State Constitution.

*Health Care:* The legislation that passed the two houses of Congress
still needs to be reconciled so we don't know what will eventually
happen with it. With either version, I would classify it as the health
insurance equivalent of the banking system bailout we experienced last
year with the exception that the banks are having to pay the money back.
It is worth noting that on the day that the Senate passed their version
of the Health Care bill, health insurance company stocks reached a 52
week high.

California legislation SB 810 introduced by Mark Leno would provide for
universal coverage in California, but might not be legal if the House
version of the US Health Care bill forms the basis for reconciliation. I
get agina every time I hear a politician label ours the the best health
care system in the world. It may be the most expensive, David Brooks
opined on New Hour that it is headed toward over 20% of GDP and our
outcomes are not as good as many other countries.

*Green Party: * Some tell me that the Green Party is a lost cause. It's
numbers are in decline and Democrats are running as the small-g “green
party.” Even the always endorse a Democrat California League of
Conservation Voters has co-opted the brand and put up a web site called
GreenGov2010.org.

Still, if I look at the three big issues above, the Green Party is on
the correct side of each one, supporting the use of basic climate
science in determining how to provide for our energy future, defining a
management process for water basin oriented water planning and
supporting true health care reform either through SB 810 or another
method should Congress decide that they can't allow states to do what is
best for their citizens.

So, maybe the some of all of these lost causes is just enough to keep me
going

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better
 and you don't,

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024