[Sosfbay-discuss] Link to Thoughtful Article by John Neumaier on Gaza

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Sun Feb 1 08:59:47 PST 2009

Check out a thoughtful
article by my dear friend, John J. Neumaier, in New York. Please note
that John came to this country from Germany as a teenager in the late
1930s. He has been a distinguished scholar and a civil rights and peace
activist for decades.

Alex Walker

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

Published by the Kingston Daily Freeman,

Kingston, New York, Sunday, February 1, 2009

"Reviewing the War Between Israel and Gaza"

by John J. Neumaier

REPORTS and opinion pieces about the bloody conflict between Israel and
Hamas-led Gaza tend to be strongly colored by ideological perspectives.

Whether they’re government spokespersons, media journalists, or
Internet bloggers, all commentators are influenced by national, social,
religious, economic, and political affiliations and backgrounds, as is
their public.

My own reactions to the killings, the brutal bombing campaign, and the
massive suffering in this Mideast region are similarly influenced by my
background, including having survived the Holocaust — unlike my mother
and many other relatives.

SOME MAY think one’s background is irrelevant since what matters most
are the “facts.” But it’s the very facts that are in dispute,
especially in war. Even when one side may be clearly in the right, no
belligerent is without fl
aws. As the Israeli peace activist Uri Avnery re
cently put it, “War —
every war — is the realm of lies.”

. . .

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/articles/2009/02/01/opinion/doc4980a9161648b450069880.txt