[Sosfbay-discuss] [GPCA-CCWG] Alex Walker Mea Culpa

civillib at comcast.net civillib at comcast.net
Mon Feb 9 10:57:20 PST 2009

Alex,

I am not on the discussion lists above, so if you feel I need to do so, please
forward this.

Let me say this about your concerns about "media blackouts." Despite the belief
by most progressives that they cannot get "corporate" media to cover them, in
fact, there really is not any kind of "blackout." This is a myth that becomes a
self-fulfilling prophecy.

Virtually every day,I manage to garner television, radio and print coverage for
progressives causes, including the Green Party. While I am a veteran news
reporter, and now a media strategist, and have some advantage, the basics of
doing this are not difficult.

It's not so much of a "blackout" but a knowledge of how to "use" the corporate
media. I know this will shock some, but they all are not out to get us. And,
while we give up, and move to "alternative" media outlets (to reach mostly those
who already support our views), we lose our ability to reach the voters we need
to reach most via the "corporate" media.

I am very confident we could have garnered the media you believe you would not
have gotten. I offered my assistance, and even though you are not running now,
the offer is still out there.

RE: "Fundraising" Committee. Forming a PAC (Political Action Committee) with the
FPPC/Sec of State would have taken minutes to do...again, these are the kind of
things that are easy if you have done it before. And, some of us have run
campaigns before and could have arranged this for you.

But Alex, this is not your fault. You should NOT have been left alone. Some of
us did offer to help in these basic tasks, but it sounds like you did not have
the support necessary locally to start, let alone run this campaign. It does not
take much, but it does take some effort by others.

So, again, I will renew my offer to help, re: media and requisite "legal" to
help in your campaign. If you are thinking about 2010, you should have your
exploratory committee in place by mid-year. Or earlier. If you need to set up
that PAC, let me know.

Good luck,

Cres Vellucci
GPCA Press Secretary

alexcathy at aol.com wrote:
> [...]
>

> I had witnessed Daniel Brezenoff's brave campaign for Congress in a Special Election.  I am20ashamed to say, in the beginning, I was one of those who privately criticized Greens for not running a "Person of Color" in that majority minority district. At the same time, I have also developed a reputation within the party for being critical of Black Greens who sit around all the time bitch, bitch, bitchin' about alleged "racism" in the Green Party but who somehow never ever get around to publicly taking a Green Party stand against those awful Black Democratic Party Hacks swaggering around as infallible leaders of "Our Community."
>

> Taking all that into account, when it looked like nobody would run in this current Special Election in inner-city L.A. amidst all the post-election hype about Barack Obama and "Change" in America, I foolishly jumped in at the last minute unprepared.
>
> The first problem was just collecting signatures to get on the ballot. On paper it says we have 3,000 registered Greens in my district, but since we have no really good list of Green voters, it was a pain-in-the-ass contacting them and running around to gather a lousy 150 signatures.
>
> Over and over Warner has said candidates should organize a fundraising committee before announcing their candidacy.  I was running around like a fool trying to set up a fundraising committee at the same time I was trying to collect signatures.  So, when people signed the petition and said:
>

> "This is great!  I'm glad you're running.  Can I give you a check?"
>

> I had to say "No wait! I'll=2
> 0have to get back to you on that."  That was, of course, the wrong answer. Meanwhile, I was paying for campaign expenses out of my own pocket.
>

> Then there is the continuing problem of a Total MSM Blackout of Green candidates.  It's like the Green Party of the 2000s has become the Communist Party of the 1950s.  You cannot get so much as a "Letter-to-the-Editor" saying something nice about the Green Party past the corporate censors. This very day the Los Angeles Times has a "Blowback" commentary titled "Don't Give Jerry Brown a Third Term" on its web site rightly blaming Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown for encouraging the Prop 13 tax revolt in the 1970s.  I know for a fact that the L.A. Times has rejected op-ed pieces making some of the same points that also included kind words about the Green Party.  I, myself, submitted op-eds to the LA Times, the San Francisco Chronicle, and two supposedly "progressive" California-based web sites, Salon and Truthdig with the title "Peter Camejo Was Right."  Truthdig is edited by Robert Scheer, longtime columnist for the Los Angeles Times and The Nation.  In late 2007, made a big show
 of debating Ralph Nader arguing the absurd premise that the new improved Democratic Party "as imperfect as the Democratic Party is, it’s the home of progressives."  In that debate, Ralph tried to get Scheer to look past the obvious "Big Issues" where Republicans and Democrats obviously differ, and examine what Democrats actually do in terms of th