[Sosfbay-discuss] Report on the American Citizens Summit

Carol Brouillet cbrouillet at igc.org
Thu Feb 26 21:00:41 PST 2009

Posted with Links and photos at-
http://communitycurrency.org/transpartisan.html . Here's the text version-

"A house divided against itself cannot stand." Abraham Lincoln

          From February 11th to 15th , 2009, at
the <http://www.transpartisan.net/>American
Citizens’ Summit in Denver, people from across
the political spectrum gathered to speak and
identify priorities demanding attention at a time
of converging global crises. Processes included
meeting in circles, listening, open space, and
innovative feedback technologies that allowed
everyone to vote on issues, ideas, and
positions--anonymously and instantly--and to
reflect the information to the group.

          An interim Sunshine Cabinet--including
Cynthia McKinney (2008- Green Party candidate for
President), Congressman Ron Paul, Grover
Norquist, Liberty Coalition co-founder Michael
Ostrolenk, Barbara Marx Hubbard, humorist Steve
Bhaerman and Committee for a Unified Independent
Party director Jackie Salit--spoke about their
top priorities. They included transparency,
dismantling the national security state, a
non-interventionist foreign policy, peace,
justice, dignity, promoting liberty, following
the Constitution, creating a Peace Room, and
addressing the collapse of the economic system by
creating a local/global sustainable economy that
values solar energy, food, human invention and love.

          The history and evolution of the
Transpartisan Movement was mapped. Processes,
some of which were developed from high school
classroom ground rules and from rules adopted at
the first Bipartisan Congressional Retreat, were
explained. <http://www.spiraldynamics.net/>Spiral
Dynamics allowed everyone to understand a
framework to help people consciously transcend
the limits of bipartisan thinking. People were
encouraged to leave their egos at the door and to
be open to all points of view, deeper truths, and
surprising synergies, so they could create space
in which ideas or solutions drawn from the
collective wisdom of a diverse group of people could emerge.

          <http://www.mediatorsfoundation.org/about_mark.html>Mark
Gerzon, a pioneer in the movement, candidly
admitted that the Stimulus Bill (which President
Obama publicly signed into law February 18th,
2009, in Denver), was a result of bipartisan
thinking and give and take, creating ammunition
for future arguments and battles between
Republicans and Democrats. A genuine effort to
rationally examine measurable effects of past
efforts to improve the lives of individuals,
communities, and regions--to meet people’s needs
and ameliorate economic conditions--was thwarted by Congress.

          The Stimulus Bill is basically window
dressing that does not begin to tackle the deeper
systemic problems or the most urgent immediate
needs of the people at a time of uncertainty and
crisis; it is window dressing that promotes the
“idea” that the government is “trying to do
something” and is on top of the situation--which
is an illusion, like the bubble wealth creation
of the financial sector that has burst. Throwing
money at the speculators’ black hole of
astronomical debt will only reward and enrich the
banksters and transfer an unpayable debt from
them onto the shoulders of taxpayers. Rescuing
banks has never served or helped the plight of
populations who have seen their homes, savings,
and businesses stolen from them by predators who already have the most wealth.

          With so many systems failing,
prescribing “more of the same medicine” does not
inspire confidence. Pronouncements from the World
Economic Forum and the White House try to
convince us that the government and corporate
structures that have dominated the past several
decades are going to offer genuine solutions.
These government and corporate structures are a
large part of what has created the problem in the
first place. The current policies might maintain
the veneer of structural integrity, but beneath
the surface explosives are going off, destroying
huge swaths of infrastructure--key columns, as
happened in the controlled demolition of World
Trade Center 7. The fall time is predicted by the
laws of physics, so that those in the know can
exit and profit as they watch from a
distance--and calculate how to profit even more
from the insurance money that they’ll use to build the next bubble economy.

          Facilitator Peggy Holman, author of
<http://thechangehandbook.com/>The Change Handbook, wrote:

“Systems call forth different aspects of
intelligence, as needed. When everything is
working fine, people who have answers are
rewarded and the pioneers and questioners are
pushed to the fringe. When shifts begin to happen
rapidly and systems begin failing, smart people
and institutions start pulling in those who are
effective at challenging the status quo and
asking and pursuing powerful questions. What was fringe becomes central
” >

          In creating room for dialogue and
compassionate listening, respect for diverse
points of view, awareness of the “triggers” that
push our buttons and how to overcome reactions
and “stay present,” the Citizens’ Summit created
a space for surprising insights, ideas,
synergies, and solutions to emerge in powerful ways.

          The Citizens’ Summit identified the
values we held in common: the top ones were
respect, listening, integrity, transparency,
taking action, building trust, compassion, and
love. Joseph McCormick, primary organizer of the
Citizens’ Summit and co-founder of Reuniting
America, deliberately chose the bicentennial of
Abraham Lincoln’s birthday as the date of the
conference to draw together people with the
"courage to cooperate" across traditional
ideological barriers. He voiced his concern about
the increasing polarization taking place within
the country. He showed a map delineating
Republican and Democrat counties in 2006 and 2008
that highlighted how the red areas were becoming
redder and the blue areas bluer, with very little purple.

          Michael Andregg, in his book
<http://www.gzmn.org/causes.htm>On the Causes of
War, explains that wars arise when there are two
distinct narratives to explain “a common event.”
Pitting right against left allows the top to
control the bottom. The summit was an attempt to
bring people from across the political landscape
together, and we all experienced the challenges
of this attempt. For example, the processes were
too “communistic or touchy/feely” for some
participants who came to advocate their
particular issues. There were some very
passionate advocates for radical reforms, but
some of them had learned over decades that the
best way to persuade people about these issues
involved the softer approach of compassionate
listening and thoughtful, honest, deliberative dialogue.

          There seemed to be many “leaders,
authors, presidents, politicians, and founders of
various organizations” at the summit, and few
“followers.” There was a healthy gender balance
but a distinct lack of ethnic and income
diversity. The registration fee to attend the
summit and the hotel costs were beyond the price
range of struggling activists and those who have
to “earn a living.” The organizers had approached
the conference with a strong vision and had gone
out on a limb to try to pull off a conference in
the middle of February in Colorado. A poster
session focused on endowing the Transpartisan
Alliance, paying off the debt, and advancing the work.

          I was drawn to the summit when I
learned that Cynthia McKinney and David Ray
Griffin were invited speakers. I had hopes that
the issues that I have worked on for years would
be addressed and I was intrigued to try the new
processes. The Northern California 9/11 Truth
Alliance voted to sponsor a booth at the summit
and send Ken Jenkins, Richard Gage, and me as
delegates. Fran Shure of
<http://colorado911visibility.org/>Colorado 911
Truth Visibility offered to host us and help us
with a 9/11 Truth booth. Jennifer Parisi, also
active with Colorado 911 Truth Visibility helped
at our booth. Jonathan Elinoff brought his laptop
and shared excerpts from his new film
"<http://www.coreofcorruption.com/>Core of
Corruption” which includes dramatic new footage
on 9/11. We are Change Colorado had a booth. In
addition to attending the summit, Richard Gage,
AIA, founder of Architects and Engineers for 9/11
Truth, spoke at a local bookstore to a full
house, which also drew people from the summit.
Even though our poster sessions on 9/11 Truth
were lightly attended, when polled over 70% of
the participants on Sunday indicated that they
believed the US government either allowed 9/11 to happen or made it happen.

          Evan Ravitz, activist and webmaster of
<http://www.vote.org>www.vote.org, who is a
passionate advocate for national ballot
initiatives, offered us an idea to improve our
outreach to the public. Observing the popularity
of the homemade cookies that we gave away at our
booth as well as at some of the poster sessions,
he suggested making a large banner saying “9/11
Truth and Cookies” and using that name to create
yet another 9/11 Truth group, with perhaps
greater appeal than the many
<http://ae911truth.org>Architects and Engineers,
<http://www.pilotsfor911truth.org/>Pilots,
<http://mp911truth.org/>Medical Professionals,
<http://www.v911t.org/>Veterans,
<http://firefightersfor911truth.org/>Fire
Fighters, <http://stj911.org/>Scholars
 for
<http://www911Truth.org>9/11 Truth groups. He
also suggested putting the cookie recipes on the website.

          As publisher of the
<http://www.deceptiondollar.com>Deception
Dollars, I had been planning to print a new bill
that would be an evolution of the
“<http://communitycurrency.org/conception.html>Conception
Dollar” published in August 2007 that pointed
towards solutions. While attending the summit I
volunteered to publish a “Perception Dollar,” or
“Transpartisan Dollar,” in collaboration with
others at the summit, to further the
Transpartisan Movement and identify the values,
processes, and solutions that citizens were
coming up with in response to the massive
problems generated by corporations, militarism,
and the corruption and abuse of power so
prevalent in the institutions that seek to dominate our country and the world.

          Frankly, I’m not sure what the next
step will be for those of us who came to the
summit, were transformed, and have committed to
work together during this time of crisis. I was
surprised to learn that Obama chose to sign the
Stimulus Bill in Denver, in the wake of the
citizens’ summit. Obama was elected because
people wanted “change,” but he has surrounded
himself with those who engineered the economic
crisis. Obama and Congress have supported the
bailout and permitted the largest transference of
wealth in history and the biggest financial crime ever.

          Prior to 9/11, my main issue--after I
became aware of the extremely destructive nature
of the debt-based monetary system--was
<http://communitycurrency.org/reweaveWeb.html>money/monetary
reform, or global economics (the global power
structure). Although I had inherited some wealth,
after I realized what was behind our monetary
system I literally gave away all my money in the
90’s to change the system, to promote local
currencies, and to educate people about money--a
major blind spot of civilization. I had been
expecting a financial collapse for a long time
and felt that the system held up only due to the
smoke and mirrors of the mainstream media--which
hid the criminal fraud of the system itself and
of the most powerful players on the world
stage--as well as due to the lack of an
“alternative system.” I realized that to change
the monetary system required changing the belief
system of Americans and the world.

          In some ways, 9/11 created a unique
opportunity to expose “the curtain” and “those
behind the curtain” who create “events” or
“psychological operations--black
operations--terrorist attacks” to manipulate
public opinion and trick populations into
supporting wars and allowing the construction of
a police state.... Despite the powerful
psychological obstacles to looking at the facts
about 9/11, it turned out to be easier to help
people understand the events of 9/11 than to
educate them about how money is created and how
global economics works. (An excellent resource on
both issues is Michel Chossudovsky’s website,
<http://www.globalresearch.ca>www.globalresearch.ca.)

          At a poster session on
“<http://transpartisan.wikispaces.com/Session+A-2>Transpartisan
Economics” there was a very friendly, respectful
discussion regarding numerous approaches to tax
reform, land reform, and monetary reform, which
recognized that there is no silver bullet
solution to quickly solve and retool our economic
system. Wendell Fitzgerald, president of the
Henry George School of San Francisco
(<http://www.henrygeorgesf.org>www.henrygeorgesf.org),
and Steven Shafarman, author of
<http://www.tendrilpress.com/node/7>Peaceful,
Positive Revolution: Economic Security for Every
American, advocated for a guaranteed basic
income, together with tax and monetary
reformists, agreed that we need “an honest,
above-board participatory economic system valuing
community in the creation of money, land value
and tax policy to serve our individual and common
needs, creating income security for all, and not
passing down debt and loss to the final consumer or future inhabitant.”

          Last September, when the financial
crisis made headlines and the bailout was
proposed, a huge majority of people suddenly
could see that they were being ripped off and
that the crooks who were most responsible were
being rewarded. The time for monetary reform is
ripe. Knowing the importance of this issue, I
actually tried to get those advocating monetary
reform to attend the Citizens’ Summit--including
Congressman Dennis Kucinich, who last October
introduced H. R. 7260
(<http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-7260>Transparency
in the Creation of Wealth Act of 2008), which
demanded transparency in the Federal Reserve;
Stephen Zarlenga, founder of
<http://www.monetary.org/>The American Monetary
Institute and author of The
<http://www.monetary.org/lostscienceofmoney.html>Lost
Science of Money: The Mythology of Money, The
Story of Power; and Richard Cook, author of
<http://www.tendrilpress.com/we-hold-these-truths>We
Hold These Truths: The Hope of Monetary Reform.

          Congressman Ron Paul, who also proposed
legislation to
“<http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul504.html>end
the Federal Reserve,” did not speak directly
about the issue at the summit, but indirectly and
more broadly suggested that we promote liberty as
a unifier, as well as honoring the Constitution.
His supporters were passionately advocating a
return to silver and gold backed currency. I took
the workshop on “overcoming triggers” just so
that I could dialogue with the hard money
advocates without immediately falling into debate
mode. At the circles addressing economics issues,
we realized that most of the work we had to do
was in the realm of public education--overcoming
myths that entrench a dysfunctional system that
maintains and exacerbates the disparities between
the rich and the poor and decimates the middle class.

          These are the top issues that emerged
from the collective whole, framed as questions:

How do we give everyone access to affordable, quality healthcare?
How do we create a system for quality education
that respects the individual, encourages the
desire to learn, and develops critical thinking skills?
How do we achieve transparency in all government
transactions including taxes and the Federal Reserve?
How do we develop an alternative energy economy
that provides jobs, protects our environment and creates energy independence?
Enhancing local role in decision making:
How do we deepen the quality of engagement
between Americans and their government?
All people are authentically engaged in the
creation of all public decisions and policy.
America's government is termed a Republic:
How do we achieve a truly representative Republic
- a truly representative Democracy?
How do we create economic policies that provide
the basic needs and opportunities for every American?
How do we create healthy, safe, vital, sustainable local communities?

          Establishing common ground and trust in
shared values and goals seemed to be the first
step in working together through the more gnarled
strategies and steps necessary to realize them.
On the first day, a long presentation on spiral
dynamics looked at the evolution of thought
processes and how increasingly complex problems
and crises demand new ways of thinking--first for
tribes, then nations, and finally for
civilizations to adapt and survive. Many have not survived.

          Sometimes the most personal stories are
the most universal, when someone has the courage
to bare their soul, removing whatever façade they
might wear to protect themselves, and exposing
their weaknesses, their vulnerabilities, their
heart. The revelations we offer one another--and
the sensitive listening, reciprocity, and
respect--are the essential first steps toward
developing trust and overcoming stereotypes and
prejudice based on appearances.

          I was surprised at the summit by the
revelations I heard. I was also told directly by
several people that Ken, Richard, Fran, Jennifer
and I broke “the crazy conspiracy theorist”
stereotype for people who otherwise would not
have doubted or questioned the official 9/11 story.

          My own natural “mistrust” of elected
officials was challenged when I learned that one
of the wealthier men in Congress actually
sponsored the attendance at the summit of my
activist friend Evan Ravitz. During a hike after
the summit, Evan told me about
<http://www.polisforcongress.com/>Jared Polis, a
freshman Congressman from Colorado who used his
entrepreneurial and Internet skills in his
college days to help his family make a fortune
with their greeting card company. Jared devoted
much of his personal fortune to passing good
legislation, improving education in Colorado, and serving the greater good.

          Mark Twain wrote:
         “It could probably be shown by facts and
figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except Congress.”

          I agree with Twain for the most part. I
am embarrassed to even admit that I ran for
Congress twice. (I usually add that I ran because
Congress was behaving treasonably by not
defending the Constitution and by not impeaching
Bush and Cheney, who I considered the greatest
threats to our nation and the world. I also knew,
as a Green Party candidate, that my chances of
winning were almost nil, but running allowed me
to speak publicly about taboo issues). However, I
have also met those with great courage and
integrity who were in Congress and lost their
seats because they posed a threat to the status
quo. And under tremendous pressure, a few,
including Representatives Ron Paul and Dennis
Kucinich, continue to speak up and champion the
people’s interest over corporate interests.

          9/11 truth and the monetary crisis were
transpartisan issues in the sense that they
transcended the limited political boxes, or hats
that people wore, drawing people from across the
political spectrum to question the invisible
agreements and assumptions that permeate civic
life and the possibility that those could and should be changed.

          On the last day of the conference, we
were asked to stand where we felt we were in
relation to the Transpartisan Alliance--anywhere
from the center to the edge. Except for getting
up from my chair, I didn’t move, because I could
see how I could incorporate the good ideas into
my work and help promote them, and at the same
time try to balance my life and continue to work
on the issues that I cared about passionately.
However, in the last round of stating our
commitments to the group, I found myself teamed
up with
<http://www.oss.net/extra/page/?id=290>Robert
Steele, an ex-intelligence professional (can one
actually retire from the CIA?) who has strongly
advocated open source public intelligence
available to all, promoting the idea of
<http://www.oss.net/extra/news/?module_instance=1&id=2498>Collective
Intelligence--inspired by one of my mentors and
friends, Tom Atlee of the
<http://www.co-intelligence.org/>Co-Intelligence
Institute. I subsequently found myself on the funding committee.

          In an era when the volume of
information is exploding, knowledgeable
processing of that information can’t keep up, and
genuine wisdom is rare and speaks so softly that
it is hard to discern from the cacophony, my
deepest concerns are over technology. On one
hand, technology is incredibly empowering and
enables us to communicate without the traditional
gatekeepers of the mainstream media; on the other
hand, technology can be abused and has a history
of being used to serve elite interests and
maintain their control over the planet. I
struggle to process more than I can possibly
disseminate and share in words or through art and
actions, while balancing the demands of my
family, my colleagues, and the world.

          I have a heartfelt desire that we move
from the paradigm of fear toward one of courage,
love, respect, and cooperation. My hope is that
we can transition from the “love of power to the
power of love,” and my fear is that every
technological trick in the book will be used to
deceive, frighten, and fragment people to
maintain the dying empire. How can we nurture
new, transparent, life serving, decentralized,
local, state, national, international
Transpartisan efforts to identify and solve the
real problems that we face? Can we draw from the
collective wisdom of the diverse many with direct
knowledge and experience in the real world whose
voices, concerns and insights need to be heard?
Do we need technology to do it? Can we do it
through face to face meetings? Like money, will
technology tyrannize humanity? Or can we use it,
as we might use an enlightened monetary system,
to serve human needs? I don’t know all the
answers, but now more than ever, we need to raise
questions and come up with new ways to solve our
problems. Matching processes with purpose seems like the right place to start.

By Carol Brouillet