[Sosfbay-discuss] [Fwd: Urgent-Accountability Vote Today!]

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 27 10:27:46 PST 2009

FYI,

Gerry

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Urgent-Accountability Vote Today!
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:45:27 -0500 (EST)
From: Public Citizen <publiccitizen at mail.democracyinaction.org>
To: gerrygras at earthlink.net

January 27, 2009

Dear Gerald,

President Obama has asked Congress for a federal spending bill to get
the economy moving again. ￿Billions of tax dollars are already being
spent in the bailout and billions more are needed to begin to dig us out
of this financial crisis. ￿But before we agree to this massive spending
bill, we must know that someone will be watching the store. ￿We must
ensure that federal employees can blow the whistle waste, fraud or abuse
- without fear of retaliation or reprisals! ￿

We now have a chance to protect whistleblowers and make sure there is
real accountability in the economic stimulus package! ￿But we have to
act quickly!

Two champions of accountability, Representative Chris Van Hollen (D-MD)
and Representative Todd Platts (R-PA), have offered an amendment to the
stimulus bill that would restore and strengthen protections for federal
workers who blow the whistle. ￿This is the same bill that we have long
supported and that passed the House with overwhelming support in 2007.

Congress is voting TODAY at 3:00 PM EST on whether the economic stimulus
should include protections for federal workers who blow the whistle on
waste, fraud and abuse.

We need you to call your representative now and ask for support for
federal government employees! ￿You can find your member of the House
here

<clip>

or simply call the Capitol switchboard (202) 224-3121and ask for your
representative.

Please tell your member of Congress to support federal employee
whistleblower rights and vote yes on the Platts/Van Hollen Amendment today!

We've been fighting for these whistleblower protections for a long time.
￿Passing the stimulus bill passes with these protections in place would
be an outstanding victory for all of us who have fought for government
accountability over the years. Please call your member of Congress today.

Thank you for all you do!

Best,
Angela, Eric, and the rest of the Congress Watch Action Team at Public
Citizen

P.S. Please let us know your thoughts and how your call went! Write to
us at: action at citizen.org. Thanks!

<clip>

For more information go to http://www.WhistleblowerAction.org

If this message was forwarded to you, sign up to receive action alerts
from Public Citizen:
http://action.citizen.org/signUp.jsp?key=3568