[Sosfbay-discuss] Building Coaltions (was Re: David Ledesma's 'Stop Recruiting Kids' event March 7th, independent of Green Party

Drew Johnson JamBoi at Greens.org
Fri Jan 30 12:40:05 PST 2009

Well the gist of it is that there wasn't the common understanding that
when we Greens do an event or an action we try to do in coalition.
period.  We inherently work with other ally groups.  We don't do things in
isolation.  We don't form 'committees' that are somehow autonomous and
empowered to make any old decision that will impact the party and incurr
liability without checking back with the party, the Council, etc.

There were legitimate concerns raise by Councilors over the ambiguous
nature of  the proposal, made by whom (is the person a Party Member? Did
they have standing to make such a proposal?), what exactly was the
proposal,  would experienced Party Members coChair (gender balanced)  the
effort and the the enormous amount of time it took from our General
meeting.  Unfortunately at the December meeting we had few senior Greens
present to keep quality assurance aspects front and center and some
aspects of the meeting didn't go as smoothly as one one like.  One
unfortunate outcome was that different people ended up with different
understandings of what had been agreed to and what it would entail, how it
would be operated etc.

IMO there needs to be more educating of what it means to be a Green and
how we Greens operate.  Many things we do and the manner in which we do
them is not at all like the Grey Parties and so people approach us with
misconceptions.  If we do a better job of bringing folks up to speed with
our SOPs then there will be common expectations and harmony.

Green is Coalitional and Collective!

Drew