[Sosfbay-discuss] July 1, 2009 Meeting

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Sun Jul 5 17:22:33 PDT 2009

 Those present included: Warner, Jim Doyle, Valerie Face, Dana,  Fred, Aki Tanaka, Andrea, Brian, Caroline, Tian, and Merriam.

Facilitator--Jim Doyle
Note Taker--Caroline
Time Keeper--Dana
Vibes Watcher--Fred

Intros--
Drew is going to Durham.
Warner--anyone interested in internet teleconference on July 14 should contact him
Fred--just elected to international Green group. He is also going to meeting in Durham. He brought up the abduction of Cynthia McKinney. He says the news media are ignoring it.
Valerie Face--she is working with Marriage Equality.
Tian--organized Juneteenth. Made flyers for our upcoming activities.
Dana--CC and voting delegate to GPUS.
Aki Tanaka--CC of Alameda Green Party. He came to talk to us about KPFA.

KPFA--There has been turnoil at KPFA between the paid staff and the unpaid staff. 2/3 of the people who produce the shows are unpaid staff, and they are worried about their programs. This year the national board is pushing for a more democratic process, and the will be policing the election.
     Aki is running for the Program Council. He would like as many Greens as possible ro become members (for $25) by July 15. If we do, we will be sent a ballot. We can vote between August 31-October 15.
     Dana asked Aki to send us an e-mail dilieating the problems, describing the candidates, and saying how the situation needs to be changed.

Old Business--
     Water District--
Andea and Merriam are interested. They will go to meetings. Warner says anyone interested in being a candidate should spend at least a year getting ready. Jim Doyle found the amount spent by water district candidates in the past ranged from zero to $20,000. Elections are held in even numbered years. Two of the seven memberrs are appointed, five are elected by districts that correspond to supervisorial districts.

     Juneteenth--
$34 was collected and several people expressed interest in the Green Party.

     Gay Pride--
There was a lot of positive reaction to our being in the Gay Pride Parade.

     Yes magazine--
Merriam's Campbell library will subscribe. Caroline's Sunnyvale library hasn't responded. We don't know whether the Green Party can be acknowledged as the donor.

     Courage Campaign--
Valerie will get a speaker from them for the next meeting.

     Gathering--
Some of us don't think we can do this by January. We will approach people at the next plenary to see if there is interest in our having a gathering next spring or fall.

New Business
     Yard Sale--
Andrea is doing it. It will be from 10-6 on July 25. She needs hangers, a rack, plants, schwag, bling, clothes, books. Lower quality stuff we will give away free. There will be a raffle. We will advertize in the Sunnyvale Sun. Jim will put it on the website. Tian will produce flyers.

     Picnic--
There will be a meeting tomorrow to organize this.

     Labor Day--
This will be a three day affair in downtown San Jose. We need LOTS of volunteers. So far we have  Valerie, Brian, Drew, Merriam, Caroline, and Warne

     Community Fest--September 19 from 10-5. We need the canopy and tablers for this.

     Green Fair--
October 12 (Indigenous People's Day, otherwise known as Columbe Day. First Christian Church on 5th St. from 2-6. We will sell tabling space to green businesses.

     Regional Rep--
Warner says the structure of the state coordinating committee will change. We should table this subject until after the October meeting.

     Fundraising--
Jim thinks we should start hitting people up for donations. We can get lists from organizations, see if any donors are Green, and contact them.  We should save up programs from things we go to and hit up the big donors.

     Financial aid for going to Durham--
Fred proposed that we give anyone who needs help $100 to help with expenses.

     Single Payer Rally
There will be a rally for single payer health care at noon on Sunday. at Winchester and Stevens Creek. We need people to go there, identify themselves as Green and for single     payer.

     Cynthia McKinney
Merriam reports that the Free Gaza movement wants the Green Party to do something because of the abduction of  Cynthis McKinney. In his speech in Cairo, Obama said Israel must lift the blockade and let humanitarian aid get through. All press releases from Cyprus, where the ship carrying McKinney and the relief supplies was from, are quoting this and asking what Obama is going to do.