[Sosfbay-discuss] NYT Magazine on California is S-o-o-o Bad

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Sun Jul 5 20:58:23 PDT 2009

Dear Green Friends,

The Sunday New York Times is a bad habit I can't break.? Today's cover story -- the cover story -- in the prestigious NYT Sunday Magazine was so awful, I had to write a blog post on The Daily Kos, just to make sure my rant was seen by as many eyeballs as possible.

NYT Magazine on California is S-o-o-o Bad

THE NEW YORK TIMES has been called the "best newspaper in America." Alas, today's 8,365 word magazine cover story, "Who Can Possibly Govern California?"
is so-o-o bad. It's worst than celebrity fluff in People Magazine.
Newsom's note-taking? Schwarzenegger's cigars? Brown's love for
arugula? Whitman NOT owning a horse?  My elementary school grandchildren could write a deeper analysis!

A few days ago, I read a blog post by Rita Hao titled "That Horrendous NYT Magazine Article About Our Governor's Race"
in which Ms. Hao promised to: "read and summarize that
ridiculous-looking article about the California gubernatorial race in
the NY Times Magazine with the ludicrous picture of Gavin 'I made a
mess on my couch' Newsom on it, so you don't have to."

Published in The New York Times, Sunday, July 5, 2009

Who Can Possibly Govern California?

By Mark Leibovich

I should have taken Rita Hao's offer, but my wife, Cathy Deppe, and
I used to live in New York and reading the Sunday New York Times is a
bad habit I have not been able to break. My God! Today's 8,365 word
Sunday Magazine cover story by Mark Leibovich is s-o-o-o bad. Just goes
to show our broken politics is not just about some bad Republican and
Democratic politicians, but also how those politicians are depicted in
today's celebrity tabloid media. And unfortunately, our national
tabloid media evidently learned nothing from the rise and fall of
George W. Bush.

Here are the highlights of Ms. Hao's summary:

Posted on SF Appeal Online Newspaper, July 2, 2009

That Horrendous NYT Magazine Article About Our Governor's Race

by Rita Hao

Gavin Newsom has a weird method of reading books.

Gavin is using the word "audacity" to sound like Barack Obama.

Schwarzenegger says "even me as a celebrity governor -- even with that, I can't penetrate through certain things."

Meg Whitman was photographed with a rental horse for the cover of Fortune.

Schwarzenegger has installed a tent so he can smoke his cigars.

Jerry Brown loves arugula.

Brown mixes up "Finding Nemo" and "Where's Waldo."

Newsom talks up his Twitter feed and shows off his annotated Bible.

What is even more important and alarming is the fact that there is
virtually no analysis of how California got into this mess. What is
downright shocking are serious factual errors.? .? . ?

Read More and Leave a Comment at The Daily Kos:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/7/5/750310/-NYT-Magazine-on-California-is-S-o-o-o-Bad

?