[Sosfbay-discuss] Water Realities and Other Drought Effects

Andrea Dorey andid at cagreens.org
Sat Jul 11 12:16:07 PDT 2009

Wes,
By now you probably realize that Santa Clara County has declared
California a year-round fire hazard.  The county weed abatement czars
are down everyone's throats regarding any weeds, green or dry, over a
certain height and will fine hi/r if they find out, whether by a
casual drive by with a camera or a complaint registered by a gleeful
neighborhood busybody.

A few weeks back, I appeared at the council meeting in the chambers
on Hedding Street to bring up the importance of the riparian areas
and the cooler micro-environment that should be taken into
consideration before demanding that hillside dwellers—living at about
2000 feet—must cut grasses/"weeds" to the schedule set for sea-level
Milpitas homeowners.  I cited the presence of Tarantula migrations in
October on their way to Mount Hamilton, the gatherings of Monarch
Butterflies in the pastures with native and wild grasses, and the
floods of balloon spiders floating on their silvery parachutes, all
of which happened in years past, but beginning to fade away as
draconian stripping and discing of pastures are enforced early and
often, now to be year-round.

Don Cortese was present at that meeting and, after all the people had
spoken, he requested that Mr Gregg (the UberMeister of this "weed"
program) seriously research the issue of riparian areas—a direct
response to my plea.  (I was the only one that brought up that
issue.)  I was surprised and pleased to see that Cortese "got it."
Gregg showed little interest but was forced to agree to the request
as Cortese deliberately repeated it several times.  I'm going to
watch for this process with the hope that it doesn't fall through
bureaucratic cracks.

In the two minutes I was allotted to address the council, I didn't
mention this:  Just this year we had the very first invasion of
locusts (talk about biblical totems!):  I have never seen these in
the hillside area before, let alone the heavy flood of these flying
insects that darkened the air for perhaps an hour.  Also, we have
large numbers of squirrels and noisy jays that suddenly showed up in
the last couple of years.  We used to have lots of mud swallows and
small birds and song birds, but these are more and more absent,
driven out by the more aggressive invaders.  Hummingbirds, bumble
bees, and ladybugs are beginning to thin out as well.

I'm also seeing a lot of pecking damage to fruit that is nowhere near
ripened yet (such as apples); another new phenomenon.

Do you think this might be a good letter to write to the "Murky"
News, Wes?  Is it worth pursuing?  Or will I come off as another
crazy tree hugging, organic family farmer?

Have you seen anything like this going on in your area?
Andrea