[Sosfbay-discuss] KPFA Program Council and Local Station Board Elections

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 12 14:38:03 PDT 2009

   Akio Tanaka, a member of the CC of Alameda County, spoke at the monthly meeting
about his candidacy in the upcoming KPFA elections for a position on the Program
Council.

   To vote, you must join KPFA by July 15th.  A $25 subscription will make you a
member.  http://www.kpfa.org/

    There are a couple of other reasons to join.  Earlier this year I had the pleasure of
working with two fine Stanford activists in the accountability movement, Adam Hudson
and Shara Esbenshade, both of whom are running for the Local Station Board.

    Adam will be a senior next year.  He's from Pittsburg, California.  He's majoring in
international relations, studying Arabic, and plans to be a muckraking lawyer.  He is
highly skilled in dealing with the bullshit of action group dynamics.

   Shara will be a sophomore next year.  She became involved in independent media in
Champaign, Illinois while still in high school and has been active in labor rights and the
anti-war movement.  With experience in radio, online newspapers, and online film
distribution, Shara wants to facilitate interactive online programming at KPFA.

   I think both of these candidates share the green values.  I don't think they've had
much exposure to the Green party.  Yet.

   From Adam's statement:

   "The people on these boards represent listeners, staff and
volunteers in reviewing the station budget, choosing a station manager,
selecting Pacifica National Board members and making sure Pacifica
sticks to its mission of providing a media voice to the community it
represents....I
believe in the effectiveness of independent media outlets, such as
KPFA, of raising awareness about issues and perspectives that rarely
get heard in corporate media outlets and would like to see the station
do more in reaching out to young people and minority communities."

  From Shara's statement:

    "Independent media ... strengthens grassroots collective action both through the practice of creating such media and through the information and culture that....  reflects and nurtures grassroots activism.... I want to serve as a listener delegate on the local KPFA board to help make systemic changes to ensure a truly democratic and sustainable way of decision-making within the local radio station because the democratic process is not only as important as the output on the air, but it informs that output....  I will spread awareness about the importance of independent radio, involve youth in its process, and will create discussion to bring the ideas and feedback of youth to the local board."

Brian