[Sosfbay-discuss] NPR Covers Rice Return to Stanford

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 4 16:06:08 PST 2009

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101443131

Campus pastor Lindsey Holley is quoted, saying Condi's decisions
on treatment of prisoners at Gitmo "could be considered war crimes"
and noting the lack of public calls for her to take responsibility.

Former Secretary of State (and current Hoover Institution fellow)
George Schultz said "I'm delighted to have her back."  He expects
lively discussion: "She'll be challenged, but so will they be challenged
because sometimes you know more than they do."

"I don't believe in confrontation," Rice said, saying that was "outside
civil discourse."

History Professor Barton Bernstein feels it's "incumbent upon me morally
to indicate my great dismay and thorough disapproval of the administration
in foreign policy and what we believe to be her important role in those
decisions."

Stanford Democrats club President Ashwin Mudaliar said "I don't think
protest is completely necessary.  Professor Rice has done a lot for
this university, and we should give her due respect for that."  Democrats
club political director Beth D'Aunno proposed "a big old invitation signed
by every student on campus" to speak three nights about her role in the
Iraq War, and what she gained from her experience in the administration
"that will help her to be even better moving forward."

Rice plans to hold seminars and after-dinner talks in dorms.  She will
be seen at basketball games and maybe on the gold course after
trading her pressure-cooker life for one of leisurely reflection on the
last 8 years.