[Sosfbay-discuss] Why Accountability is Job One

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 31 00:19:26 PDT 2009

   Bush is gone, Hope is here, and sanity is restored, right?  Obama is
closing Gitmo, he's repudiated Bush policies, and everything's OK?

   Think again.   We can hope Obama won't torture, won't lie us into war,
won't jail us without court supervision, won't wiretap without warrants.
But if he doesn't punish the ones who did, he's establishing the principle
that adherence to the Constitution and to international law is optional.
He's opening the door to the possibility that the next President--Rumsfeld,
or Limbaugh, or Coulter--might be much worse than Bush was.

   The only way to protect the rights of future generations is to establish
them in the present through accountability for the past.  If President
Obama doesn't re-establish our freedoms by prosecuting violations, he
will be throwing them away.  He has no right to do that.