[Sosfbay-discuss] Berryessa Arts and Wine Festival Tabling Report

WB4D23 at aol.com WB4D23 at aol.com
Sun May 10 20:42:52 PDT 2009

Saturday was a warm, but not overly hot day in the  Berryessa area...
It looked to me that the vendors area was full and bustling  compared to
the last few years when there was empty space in that field.   On the other
hand, there seemed to be a lot fewer people in the  bandstand/nonprofits area
in the field just uphill from the community  center...  And the bandstand
seemed to have holes in its afternoon program  (e.g., the folk duo and rock
band usually performing in the afternoon were  absent this year).

Caroline and Warner did set up; Cameron came by after  noon;  Jim Stauffer
came by in midafternoon and did take-down with Warner  and deposited the
tabling equipment and supplies at Warner's house.   Caroline came by and
retrieved those items (except plants) today (Sunday  afternoon).

We received donations for one box of seeds, a painted  rock and buttons
(probably less than $20 total -- which is low  for this event; usually we
"sell" lots of buttons).  Caroline or  Tian mentioned that someone has bumper
stickers, but those were not evident  in the tabling supplies received.  Both
the plants and painted rocks drew  attention to our tabling.  We distributed
literature over the day; again,  probably a much smaller amount than usual
for this event.

Jim and I ran into a complaint from one of the event  organizers when we
had almost completed our take-down at about 4:30 pm.  We  were told that the
GPSCC had signed a "contract" that we were supposed to stay  up until 5 pm.
His point also was the event organizers did not want  traffic adjacent to
the area to be seeing take-downs or an empty field before 5  pm so observers
would not think the event had finished before  5  pm.   (We ran into this
complaint last year also when I closed down  with Caroline's help around 4 pm
-- at that time, I didn't care because of  suffering from heat exhaustion
from much hotter temperatures).  Jim and I  hung around an extra twenty minutes
(after 10 minutes of vociferous  conversation) until 5 pm with everything
set next to the canopy and the canopy  half down.  I would like to see the
document.  If that is the  agreement for participating in the event, whoever
signs off on it needs to  provide those instructions to tablers.

This was the second year in a row that I did the whole  day.  I think this
event is worth doing... particularly next year when  (hopefully) we will
have statewide candidates for Governor, etc.   (BTW:  Anyone going to run for
the AD23 seat including Berryessa?)   But... I am not sure I am going to be
willing to do the whole day again; we need  more volunteers for tabling at
all events!!!

So...  I have the starter plants; a reasonable  variety.  I think our next
tabling event is Juneteenth in downtown San  Jose.  If folks are going to do
other tabling before then and want plants,  contact me to arrange a pick-up
day and time.

Warner

**************The Average US Credit Score is 692. See Yours in Just 2 Easy
Steps!