[Sosfbay-discuss] Single-Payer Alert

Edward the_alliance47 at yahoo.com
Tue May 12 10:37:56 PDT 2009

I noticed that in late March, Senator Sanders (VT-I) introduced a bill in Senate (S.703), which advocates for single-payer. The text of the legislation was not immediately available, but when it came out, I was surprised at what he was proposing. Along with Rep. McDermott's (WA-D) HR 1200, there is now competing legislation with the Conyers bill HR 676 in Senate. (Note: Honda co-sponsored this bill in the 110th Congress, but has not signed on again; Eshoo and Lofgren are still MIA).

The main difference between HR 676 and S703/HR1200? HR 676 would have one national single-payer system while the other bills would have 50 state single-payer systems. Physicians for a National Health Programme have put together this PDF summarising the differences between the two: http://www.md.pnhp.org/docs/Comparison-HR676-and-S703.pdf

Where does the GPUS and GPCA stand on individual state plans? It sounds sketchy to me, but what do you all think about it?

-Edward