[Sosfbay-discuss] F.Y.I. - Marcy Winograd of PDA Challenging Jane Harman in DEM Primary

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Tue May 12 11:12:38 PDT 2009

   I'm glad to see somebody going up against Rep. Harman.  She was the sponsor
of HR 1955, the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act
of 2007, passed in October 2007 404 to 6, which some critics have labeled a
"thought crimes bill".   Local co-sponsors incuded Zoe Lofgren of San Jose, and
Dan Lungren.  Dennis Kucinich was one of the 6 who voted against it.
   The Senate version of the bill, S-1959, apparently never made it to the floor.

   I'd suggest that insofar as it's legal that in general pursuing alliances with
Democratic primary challengers would be a good strategy in races where Greens
are running unopposed by other Greens.  We'd work with the challenger in the
primary, and their people would work for the Green in the General.  As Democrats
become increasingly disaffected with their own party and increasingly drawn to
the Greens, we could find Dem challengers' campaigns a rich recruiting ground
for organizers, candidates, and donors.