[Sosfbay-discuss] People and Climate Change

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 17 17:56:24 PST 2009

As to what is happening re Climate Change ...
the short answer is a lot.  Whether it is
"enough" remains to be seen.

I am seeing so many articles on Common Dreams,
that I can't keep up with what is in the
articles and other resources I read about
there.  I presume that is because COP15
in Copenhagen is coming up in less than a
month.

I recently got an email from Acterra about
a Climate Change talk with Stephen Schneider,
a climate scientist with a new book "Science
as a Contact Sport" (because of how much they
are attacked).  (I am about half way through
that book.)

I recently got an email from Robert Redford
via the NRDC list about a new book "Clean
Energy, Common Sense" written by NRDC
president Francis Beinecke.  (I have ordered
that book from Keplers, it is not in stock.)

I recently attended an MIT event in Santa
Clara about clean energy.  It would appear
from what they said that MIT is heavily
involved in research for clean energy.
One professor said that in his research he
is looking for short term benefits because
global warming is urgent.

Bill McKibben's October 24th action, through
350.org, was pretty big, over 5200 events
in 181 countries.

FWIW, a lot of climate science is funded by
the U.S. government.

It appears to me that world generally agrees
on the need to do something.  The tricky part
is how much needs to be done, and by whom,
and who pays for it.

Gerry