[Sosfbay-discuss] Climate Change

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Sun Oct 25 10:54:49 PDT 2009

Here is the list of lecture titles in the Earth at the Crossroads course.  I have watched one and found it a little dense. Three at a time might be a lot to chew on at once. It might make it more workable if those of you who plan to come would indicate which lectures seem most interesting to you. Also, for anyone who can't make Tuesdays, I am perfectly willing to have showings on another day or evening to accommodate you.
Caroline
Earth at the Crossroads: Understanding the Ecology of a Changing Planet

1. An Ecological Diagnosis of the Living Earth
2.Humanity and the Tragedy of the Commons
3. Ecology--Natural History ti Holistic Science
4. Ecology as a System--Presses and Pulses
5. Climate and Habitat--Twin Ecological Crises
6. Human Society as Ecological Driver
7.Movement of Energy Through Living Systems
8. Humans as Energy Consumers
9. Nutrient Cycling in Ecosystems
10. The Challenges of Waste and Disposal
11. The Water Cycle and Climate
12. Human Water Use and Climate Change
13. Rain and Heat--Forces That Shape Climate
14. The Ecology of Global Climate Change
15. How Living Organisms Acquire Food
16. The Ecological Consequences of Agriculture
17. Food, Energy Flows. Biomagnification
18. The Human Ecology of Biomagnification
19. The Ecological Community as a Living Mosaic
20. Wildlife Adaptation to Human Landscapes
21. Biodiversity, Disturbance, Invasive Species
22. Biodiversity Decline and Restoration Ecology
23. Microevolution and Biological Variation
24. Human Impacts on Ecological Space and Time
25. Population Growth and Its Natural Limits
26. The Human Shift to an Urban Lifestyle
27. The Ecology of Dispersal and Migration
28. Human Impacts on Animal Migration
29. Ecology and Economy of  SEX  and Reproduction ( noone under 17 admitted)
30. Cities and the Human Demographic Transition
31. Coevolution Among Species
32. The Coevolution of Human Diseases
33. Strategies for Reversing Ecosystem Decline
34. Designing Spaces for Wildlife
35. Toward Sustainable Urban Ecosystems
36. Recovering Ecosystems--Hope for the Future

Sound like intense fun? I hope you think so. Let me know