[Sosfbay-discuss] Need help re Climate Change message

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 25 13:36:02 PDT 2009

Hi,

I need help!!!

I would like to send an email to my Reps about the need
to take strong action re global warming.  I would like
to make as strong a statment as possible.

I believe that climate change is our #1 problem.

I know that the 350 org (350.org) believes we need to go
back to a CO2 level of 350 (and we are now at 380).

I know that Al Gore made a proposal about changing our
electricity infrasture to be fossil free within 10 years.

I know that the U.S. did not ratify the Kyoto protocal.

I know that recently (2 or 3 years ago?) the U.S. Senate
considered about 5 climate change bills, all weak, but
I don't know what they did with them.

I don't know what proposals are being made now.

I don't know what will happen at Copenhagen.

I just heard Chomsky on KPFA refer to something said by
Bill McKibben about something said by a Mr. Stern.
apparently Bill McKibben said that 2009 is a crucial
year re global warming.  And therefore the Copenhagen
meeting will be very important.  Which apparently
starts on Dec. 6, 2009, 72 days from now.
http://www.erantis.com/events/denmark/copenhagen/climate-conference-2009/index.htm

NOTE: Although I don't know what Chomsky is referring to,
here is an item that is relevant:
'Bill McKibben Reviews "The Global Deal" by Nicholas Stern'
http://www.progressivebookclub.com/blog/2009/05/31/bill-mckibben-reviews-the-global-deal-by-nicholas-stern/

I don't know anything about a Henry Waxman bill (referred
to in the above item).

So I am asking for whatever help you can provide in making
the strongest possible statement to send to my political
representatives.

NOTE: At the moment I am considering sending this proposed
statement to my U.S. Congresswoman, (Anna Eshoo), my 2 U.S.
Senators, and the U.S. President.  But I may send to others
as seems appropriate.

Thank you,

Gerry

P.S. I think it is appropriate to keep in mind George
Lakoff's ideas about "The Political Mind", but what that
means in practice, I have not yet learned.