[Sosfbay-discuss] Need help re Climate Change message

Andrea Dorey andid at cagreens.org
Sat Sep 26 16:51:08 PDT 2009

Hi, Gerry,
I heard Chomsky on Democracy Now, but I don't remember him making
those statements.  I also heard Nader discussing his new "fiction"
book that discusses the reasons why the rich might want to join us to
do the right thing about global warming, etc.  Nader will be in town
on Oct 16th, but I guess that is too late to get your global warming
letter off to the recipients you listed.

Interestingly, I heard someone on KALW 91.7, while discussing the
challenges for progressives in this political climate, say that the
Green Party did not support McKinney as they should have done and so
lost their chance to make a meaningful difference in the outcome of
the lst election.  I had to laugh over that one.  I guess he thinks
we wasted McKinney the way I think we wasted Nader!  We seem to lack
the spine to stand up to the Demos (in particular) and feel
collectively embarrassed and guilty about running SERIOUSLY against
the two-party system.  We have taken on the label "spoiler" just as
the conservative framers wished us to do.

And we seem unable to create the framing that voting for one of the
majors is REALLY wasting one's vote, and that voting for any third
party (we'd prefer Green) is a POWERFUL protest vote that adds up
quickly when people are ALLOWED to believe in its power.
Unfortunately we have too many enablers who opt for a future that
denies power to third party votes, thereby crippling this strategy so
severely that we don't even approach the results that the believer
Matt Gonzales achieved in San Francisco—a personal success so
amazingly close that it caused the sitting President and VP  to
personally visit The City to overcome his momentum.  (The arguments
by enablers against the chance of 3rd parties ever succeeding reminds
me of the history of scoffing at anti-slavery politicos who were
determined to win—and did!)

Nader's move to try to stitch the 3rd parties together to form a
powerful protest block was another interesting strategy that could
have substantially damaged the win of the major parties.  But, again,
we Greens seemed unable to go with the flow by shaking hands across
the minor parties' lines.  We could have quilted together a platform
of mutual agreement.

Has anyone checked with the other minor parties to see what their
take is on this latest move toward "clean" elections?  Because we may
have to form a stronger political block to have any impact on an
issue, say, global warming.    ???
Just wondering.
Andrea