[Sosfbay-discuss] Bill to Repeal Telecom Immunity

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 29 13:06:05 PDT 2009

  My Democrat friends completely understand when I tell them that I lost hope in Obama when he voted for telecom immunity after promising he would filibuster.

http://dodd.senate.gov/?q=node/5238

  Senators Dodd, Leahy, Feingold, and Merkley are sponsoring the Retroactive Immunity Repeal Act.

“We best defend America when we also defend its founding
principles,” said Dodd. “We make our nation safer when we eliminate the
false choice between liberty and security....  Retroactive
immunity for warrantless wiretapping [violated] our citizen’s privacy and due process right."

Said Leahy, Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee,
“Last year, I opposed legislation that stripped Americans of their
right to seek accountability for the Bush administration’s [illegal warrantless wiretaps].... Restoring Americans’ access to
the courts is the first step toward ...
accountability."

“Immunity ... was unjustified and undermined
the rule of law,” Feingold said. “Congress should not have
short-circuited the courts’ constitutional role in assessing the
legality of the program."

“Telecommunications companies
were ...  violating the rights and privacy
of millions of Americans,” said Merkley.

The bill seeks to reverse the mistake of the last Congress and
repeal the retroactive immunity provisions. The Senators say  the courts, and neither Congress nor the Administration,
should determine whether these corporations violated the
law and rights of Americans and whether or not they should be held
accountable.