[GPSCC-chat] comments on bookmark

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sun Apr 25 17:15:30 PDT 2010

Hello, All:

	  I produced a "No on 14" bookmark that seemed to have a consensus and
sent it April 16 to Jim Stauffer, Jim Doyle, Caroline Yacoub, Dale
Warner, Merriam Kathleen, Tian Harter and Werner Bloomberg.
Unfortunately, the template did not get turned into bookmarks, as I had
expected.  Tian said they could have been used last Wednesday for Earth
Day.  Last Friday, Caroline Yacoub asked me and three others to take
care of this.  I spoke with Dale Saturday morning;  he said he had not
received my email and did not have time then.  I tried to call Merriam
and Andrea without success.

	  Might someone suggest a next step?
	  Best Wishes,
	  Spencer
H:  408-294-5779
M:  408-655-4567

#####################
Thanks, Jim, Jim, et al.:

        I've revised the proposed bookmark based on the latest comments;
  see the text copied below or attached.  This incorporates Stauffer's
and Doyle's suggestions, I think, and I believe it reflects a consensus
of just about everything I've heard on this issue, especially lately.

DALE:  When do you plan to produce these?  Can you do it from the
attached?  I think you should feel free to make copies from the attached
unless you hear something different before you have to go to press.

ALL:

        From previous conversations, I believe Dale will probably do
this tomorrow, Saturday.  Caroline said we need them Sunday.

        We have space to add a few more words, but we are virtually out
of time.

        Best Wishes,
        Spencer
############
CURRENT TEXT:

No on Prop 14

Title:  “Elections. Increases Right to Participate in Primary Elections”

Proposed system: Non-partisan, open primary. Only the two highest voted
candidates allowed into the general election. Theoretically, will elect
more moderates.

Opponents' analysis: Has been tried elsewhere and did not achieve goals.
Fosters incumbency, limits choice, eliminates third parties from general
election, and conflicts with other reforms.  In Louisiana, only one
incumbent lost in 30 years (1978-2006).  Only one incumbent lost when
Washington used it in 2008.

More info:  “California Proposition 14 (2010)” in ballotpedia.org,
StopTopTwo.org, or cagreens.org/erwg/ Prop14