[GPSCC-chat] Why We Can't Have Torture Accountability

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 5 01:18:43 PDT 2010

An NBC News analysis says that "more than a quarter of all footnotes in the
9/11
Commission Report refer to controversial interrogation techniques," says Juan
Gonzalez of Democracy Now.

Message body
http://www.democracynow.org/2008/2/7/the_9_11_commission_torture_how

Michael Ratner, Center for Constitutional Rights, offered this opinion:

"Here you have a report that’s supposed to tell us what actually happened
 in its
key chapters on the planning of 9/11, what actually happened
when the people
came into the country, and you look at those footnotes,
and they’re based on
torture. What it has to tell you is to be very,
very skeptical about a number of
the conclusions in that report. You
just can’t rely on evidence of torture. We all
know that."

Michael Windrem, the NBC news author of the analysis said:

"At least four of them said indeed that they had provided information
only as a
result of being tortured. And they used the word “torture.”
They did not use
“enhanced interrogation techniques.” They said
“torture.” And two of them, as I
recall, said that they recanted what
they had said during those interrogations,
because it was not the truth.
 And Abu Zubaydah, in particular, went into detail
as to what he had
said under torture and what he was now recanting."

So there you have it.  An investigation into Bush-era torture can not happen,
because it will destroy the 9/11 Commission Report.