[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: Make Big Oil Pay, August 29-30!

Tian Harter tnharter at aceweb.com
Wed Aug 25 13:31:11 PDT 2010

 Bay Localize: For a Livable and Resilient Bay Area

8/29-30: Make Big Oil Pay for Green Solutions in Oakland and SF!
SAVE THE DATE! 10/14 4th Annual Ella Awards - "From Seed to Root to Vision"

Dear friends,

Make Big Oil Pay, August 29-30!
On the 5th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, Bay Localize and the
Mobilization for Climate Justice stand together in solidarity with Gulf
Coast communities hit hard by the BP oil catastrophe. It's time to Make
Big Oil Pay!

On August 29-30, join thousands of friends and neighbors for creative
actions, workshops, and popular demos to Make Big Oil Pay for rebuilding
our communities, and funding clean energy and transit solutions.

WHAT: 	Teach-In: Big Oil, Community Resilience and Nonviolent Direct
Action  	March and Nonviolent Direct Action
WHEN: 	Sunday, August 29, 1-4 pm 	Monday, August 30, 11:30 am
WHERE: 	Frank Ogawa Plaza, 14th St. & Broadway (near 12th St. BART),
Oakland 	Justin Herman Plaza (near Embarcadero BART), SF

MAKE BIG OIL PAY! Our coalition demands:

        * Moratorium on New Offshore Drilling. No Use of Dispersants.
Full Access to Media and Civil Society.
        * Big Oil corporations pay their debt to all impacted
communities - Gulf Coast to Richmond, CA and around the world.
        * Big Oil pay for community livelihood and ecosystem
restoration, clean energy, public transportation, and healthcare for
impacted communities.
        * Big Oil Out of Politics!

EVENT DETAILS:

DAY ONE: Sunday, August 29, 1-4 pm
Teach-In:Big Oil, Community Resilience and Creative Nonviolent Direct
Action
Frank Ogawa Plaza, near 14th Street & Broadway (12th St BART), Oakland
* Brief Teach-In on BP: Big Oil and local impacts, positive solutions,
and what we can do. Followed by:
* Nonviolent Direct Action Training: a public preparation for the
campaign on nonviolent direct action against big oil and for climate
justice. This will prepare participants to join the nonviolent direct
action part of the following day's demonstration, or just learn about
what's involved. Please come on time and stay for the whole time.
* Community Resilience Skills: Movement Generation and Bay Localize will
offer a workshop to understand the importance of meeting our own basic
needs to prepare our communities to weather economic, ecological and
social instability. Learn to evaluate our community's relative strengths
and vulnerabilities, and learn concrete skills to build self-reliance
and resilience. It covers the topics of: Resilient communities as part
of resisting oppression; Food, Water & Energy; Transportation & Housing;
Jobs & Economy; Civic Preparedness & Social Service

DAY TWO: Monday, August 30, 11:30 am
March and Nonviolent Direct Action
Justin Herman Plaza (Embarcadero BART), SF

Join us for a march on BP and Big Oil's SF locations and those who
choose to will risk arrest taking nonviolent direct action. We'll be
targeting the offices of BP and Chevron for their roles in environmental
and community destruction in the Gulf, in the Bay Area, and around the
world.  We'll also target the U.S. EPA to demand an end to the use of
toxic dispersants, to follow the Clean Air Act that mandates they
regulate the greenhouse gas pollution that causes climate change and
stand up to industry pressure to expand drilling and prevent action to
stop climate change.

Speakers include:

    * Jonathan Henderson, who leads the BP drilling disaster field
operations in the Gulf of Mexico for the Gulf Restoration Network
    * Rev. Kenneth Davis, Civil Rights veteran and community leader from
North Richmond)
    * Antonia Juhasz, author of the Tyranny of Oil, just back from
meeting with impacted communities in the Gulf.
    * Rebecca Solnit, author and activist who has written on Katrina and
the current Gulf disaster.
    * Carla Pérez, Movement Generation
    * Dave Room, Bay Localize

For more details, please visit http://west.actforclimatejustice.org/

Save the Date - October 14!

2010 Ella Baker Center Annual Event and Awards

This year, we have inspiring leaders to honor and so many achievements
to commemorate. Please join the us at the 4th Annual Ella Awards dinner:

Thursday, October 14, 2010
6:00 - 9:00 PM
Scottish Rite Center
1547 Lakeside Drive
Oakland, CA

Buy Tickets Now

The Annual Ella Awards honors social change leaders in our movement
whose inspiring and ground-breaking achievements plant the seeds of
peace, opportunity and justice in our communities.

Eva Jefferson Paterson
President and founder of Equal Justice Society

Mandela Foods Cooperative
West Oakland's first locally-owned full-service grocery store

Nicole Lee
Founder and Executive Director of Urban Peace Movement

We are also pleased to introduce Deandre Lewis as the first recipient of
the Van Jones Scholarship.

A limited number of early bird tickets available until 9/14. (Save $20!)

Buy yours today!
Ella Baker Center for Human Rights
www.ellabakercenter.org | 510.428.3939
344 40th Street | Oakland, CA | 94609

Connect & Share:
share-facebook   share-twitter   share-youtube

Contact Us:

  Bay Localize
  436 14th Street, Suite 1216
  Oakland, CA 94612 USA