[Sosfbay-discuss] Unemployment in CA

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Tue Feb 2 15:42:19 PST 2010

Before judging everything by perception and common sense, it may be
reasonable to also pay attention to the study published by Univ. of the
Pacific regarding the Central Valley Unemployment Statistics. Granted
that all of the MSA's cited originally by Brian are in Agricultural
Areas. El Centro in the Imperail Valley, Yuba City in the Sacrament
River Valley, the rest in the San Joaquin Valley.

The report in question is entitled Employment Impacts of Reduced Water
Supplies to San Joaquin Valley Agriculture and can be read in full here:
<http://forecast.pacific.edu/water-jobs/Pacific-BFC-Water-Jobs.pdf>

Framing the study in this manner makes sense, since there is a
significant amount of political pressure to pump more water for the
specific reason of providing more jobs. There is big money behind this
(Westlands Water District), major PR firms framing the issue as jobs vs.
fish, demagoguing Congressmen of both parties pushing it, megabucks
donors to Sen Feinstein demanding it and very few telling the truth.

Basically, for all of the unemployment, only a small portion is due to
reduced water deliveries but that is not what everyone is saying and not
what Fox News has made it's major story. Most of the studies are riddled
with errors and UoP is quick to point it out.
> Most notably, the same modeling error is part of the influential *PPIC
> report on the Delta* that endorsed the controversial peripheral canal.
> The endorsement of the peripheral canal in that report was based on
> the authors’ judgment that the cost of reducing Delta water exports is
> too high in comparison to environmental benefits. The 50 per $1
> million jobs multiplier was used in the PPIC report to exaggerate the
> social costs of reduced Delta water deliveries.
My view is that some CA agriculture can not compete with foreign imports
without subsidies, either direct as is the case with rice and cotton, or
indirect through below market rate Federal and State Water Deliveries.
So, they look to eliminate as much of the labor cost of the product as
possible. Still, according to this study, but biggest area of
unemployment came from the crash of the construction and both home and
industrial development ground to a halt. The Stockton MSA is where the
rapid growth was... it is also where the highest unemployment exists.