[Sosfbay-discuss] Flashpoints Crisis at KPFA! URGENT!

Andrea Dorey andid at cagreens.org
Wed Jan 6 15:31:55 PST 2010

Notification from Elected Pacifica Board Member Akio Tanaka:

  FLASHPOINTS TEETERING ON THE BRINK: A PLEA FOR COMMUNITY SUPPORT

KPFA management is hell-bent on destroying Flashpoints. They
terminated the Knight report, cut Nora's hours in half, and wiped out
our tech director position all together, in less than week.
(Flashpoints has lost 50% of its budget under current management.
Please! compare this to the Morning show and the KPFA news!! under
the same management.) Meanwhile, the expanded budgets of the Morning
show and the KPFA news, remain largely in tact, and management has
created a new show, Letters to Washington, that features one of their
strongest supporters, Mitch Jesserich. Jesserich, along with several
other pro-management members of the KPFA's ruling cabal, verbally
attacked Nora at a recent union meeting to tell her that Flashpoints
is the most unpopular show in drive time. MJ’s kind words came right
after the Flashpoints teams were given Lifetime Achievement Awards by
Project Censored and the Media Freedom Foundation, and right before
Nora, and I, and Flashpoints, were chosen  by Pulse Media’s to be
honored and listed among the
20 Top Global Media Figures of 2009:
http://pulsemedia.org/2009/12/31/pulse-20-top-global-media-figures-
of-2009

One of the verbal attackers, Sasha Lilley had just moved back into
the union, after three years of working hand and hand with the
current GM, censoring, preempting and disrupting Flashpoints, as
Interim Program Director. She was the KPFA/CWA shop steward, before
she took the IPD position, and now she's happily back in the union,
verbally attacking Nora with her union cap back in place. Lilley
attempted to give Nora a tongue-lashing because Nora enlisted the
support of Noam Chomsky, Howard Zinn, Chris Hedges and many others,
who have now singed onto a petition to not allow KPFA to use their
voice or their great works to raise money until the program is
restored to some semblance of working order. The third tongue-lasher,
who went after Nora, was Aileen Alfindary, co-director of the greatly
expanded KPFA evening news. According to a copy of the official
2005/2006 budget, In the first year under current manager, Lemlem
Rijio(gm at kpfa.org) the News budget received a $51,000 increase, while
Flashpoints took ten thousand dollars in cuts. KPFA news now has 220
staff hours on the books, compared to Flashpoints 80 staff hours. The
KPFA news has not been cut. Fast forward to last night, when
management failed to even supply a Board-Operator for a complicated
drive time show the show like Flashpoints. So Nora, who came to work
sick, because Flashpoints, unlike the KPFA news, does not have sick-
day fill-in, was expected to run the board and make all the calls,
plus cover Palestine. Guess what?  Palestine was neglected last night!!

Due to severe and greatly disproportionate cutbacks, Flashpoints is
teetering on the brink. What happens next month when Nora(with a nine
year old child) plans to put her life on the line again to report
from Palestine. ( I assure you Nora's trip will not be funded by
management, the way it RECENTLY Funded(even as Nora was being cut in
two, the FP tec position wiped out, and Robert Knight Terminated)its
strongest supporter in the news department, Brian Edward Tierket's
trip to the Global Climate summit. BET once referred to us as
"enemies" who need to be made to pay for our politics, in a now
infamous letter sent to Lemlem Rijio, Sasha Lilley, and others.)  No,
as usual, Nora will be forced to take a vacation in order to go and
report on one of the most dangerous and important stories of our
time, the lynch-pin for peace in the world. This time, however, based
on the severe cutbacks, when Nora leaves for Palestine, the program
will not be able to continue. So either she gives up the story or we
give up the show: Not a pretty picture!!  Management knows this, and
is hovering to put the final screws to Flashpoints.

  It has been made abundantly clear to the Flashpoints team, through
word and deed, that we are not welcome at KPFA under current
management, and they want to get rid of us. They despise our politics
and our bold radical message.  Please, do not stand idly by and let
them finish the job.  Stand up for Flashpoints Now.  If you have
technical skills, as in editing on sound forge, or can think of any
other way to support us in our battle to restore Flashpoints and keep
the show going, please e-mail me at dbernstein at igc.org

  Dennis Bernstein, Executive Producer, Flashpoints

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 4:45 PM, <dbernstein at igc.org> wrote: KPFA IAGM
Amelia Gonzales(iagm at kpfa.org), former CWA shop steward, now interim
assistant manager of KPFA

.