[Sosfbay-discuss] Judgement Day in Massachusetts

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 19 14:57:03 PST 2010

Wes Rolley wrote:

>   While stories about the Mass. Senatorial election focus on the need
> for 60 votes for health care, they don't mention that 60 votes might be
> needed for a climate bill as well, though that might not be entirely so
> partisan.

I don't know how partisan or non partison it is.  I have heard,
but don't know if it is true, that the two leading global
warming contrarians are Inhofe (R-OK) and Baucus (D-MT).

I have heard that one strong reason for "denying" global
warming is the fear that it would lead to strong
government intervention in our lives, a concern more on
the right than the left.

The Kahn article says:
=================
"...'It is ironic that a Republican victory could create
a setback for market-based instruments and a greater
reliance on command-and-control regulation.'"
=================

Similarly, it is ironic that the climate deniers successful
efforts over decades to prevent government "interference"
may ultimatley lead to the government needing to take even
stronger "command-and-control" actions when the situation
gets severe enough.

Gerry

> Read what UCLA Econ. Professor Matthew I. Kahn
> <http://greeneconomics.blogspot.com/2010/01/environmental-refugees-and-future-of.html>
> has to say about that election and Carbon Cap and Trade.  Remember both
> Poizner and Whitman are running with statements about postponing the
> implementation of AB 32.. or dumping it entirely.
>
> Wes

<clip>