[Sosfbay-discuss] Judgement Day in Massachusetts

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Tue Jan 19 15:50:59 PST 2010

Gerry Gras wrote:
> ,<snip>
>
> I don't know how partisan or non partison it is.  I have heard,
> but don't know if it is true, that the two leading global
> warming contrarians are Inhofe (R-OK) and Baucus (D-MT).
Easy to explain: Inhofe = oil
I would rather have though the Denier Dem would have been Dorgan (ND)
and that is Coal.

Baucus is takign a stronger stand, though, but it seems more for
political power. According to Politico...

> For liberal Democrats unhappy with the way Max Baucus is handling
> health care reform, here’s another dose of bad news: He’s got his
> hands on climate and energy, too.
>
> Behind closed doors, Sen. Baucus has been staking his claim on major
> aspects of the climate bill, including financing for a cap-and-trade
> system.
>
> His power play could put Baucus at the helm of the Obama
> administration’s domestic agenda, giving an unpredictable Montana
> Democrat control over legislative proposals that could define the
> Democratic Party for years to come.
>

> I have heard that one strong reason for "denying" global
> warming is the fear that it would lead to strong
> government intervention in our lives, a concern more on
> the right than the left.
>
> The Kahn article says:
> =================
> "...'It is ironic that a Republican victory could create
> a setback for market-based instruments and a greater
> reliance on command-and-control regulation.'"
> =================
>
> Similarly, it is ironic that the climate deniers successful
> efforts over decades to prevent government "interference"
> may ultimatley lead to the government needing to take even
> stronger "command-and-control" actions when the situation
> gets severe enough.
That is very true.

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better
 and you don't,

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024