[Sosfbay-discuss] Responses to Supreme Court Decision

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 22 18:19:05 PST 2010

A few responses to the Supreme Court decision
removing restrictions on corporations giving money
to elections.

(from Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund)
"Whose Rights? Challenging Corporate Power"
"A new Supreme Court decision promotes corporate rights at the expense
of the rights of citizens. Changing the legal structure itself may be
the best way to protect democracy."
     http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2010/01/21-8

(from New York Times)
"Lobbyists Get Potent Weapon in Campaign Finance Ruling"
     http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2010/01/22-1

(from New York Times)
"Ruling on Spending May Alter Political Terrain"
     http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2010/01/21-4

(from Brennan Center for Justice via the Washington Post)
"Campaign Finance Ruling Reflects Supreme Court's Growing Audacity"

(from John Dean)
"A Supreme Victory for Special Interests"
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/a_supreme_victory_for_special_interests_20100121/

(from Robert Weissman, Public Citizen)
"Shed a Tear for Our Democracy"

(from Doris 'Granny D' Haddock)
"Wisdom at 100: Defend Democracy Against the Corporate State"

(from Institute for Policy Studies)
"If Corporations Were Human"
     http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/01/22

There probably are more, but I am not interested in looking
for more right now.

Gerry

P.S. I have seen 3 petitions today for the idea of
a constitutional amendment to reverse this decision.