[GPSCC-chat] Notes From the US Social Forum -- Part 1

WB4D23 at aol.com WB4D23 at aol.com
Sat Jul 3 17:36:16 PDT 2010

NOTES  FROM THE 2010 U. S. SOCIAL FORUM
July  3, 2010  This is the first of two  reports from my attending the U.
S. Social Forum (USSF) in Detroit, Michigan  this year in connection with
attending the Annual National Meeting (ANM) of the  Green Party of the United
States (GPUS) onal Committee member (I am a delegate  from the Green Party of
California).
I  arrived at the Detroit airport Wednesday, June 23rd, and eventually
boarded the Route 125 “Smart Bus” for about an hour-long ride to the downtown
center, where I transferred to a Route 610 to get to the Wayne State
University  campus where I had reserved a dorm room and where the GPUS meetings
were to be  held.  The University also was the  location of USSF workshops,
but the largest number were being held in Cobo Hall,  a large convention
center in the downtown area near where I had  transferred.  The ride from the
airport was memorable for the numerous potholes, the worn shocks on the bus,
and  the route running from the outer airport offices area, through worn
looking  light industrial stretches evidencing no activities in the middle of a
weekday,  a few residential areas, and then a major arterial street leading
to the  downtown area.  The bus driver was  calm and patient in dealing with
all passengers, which was what I heard from  others repeatedly as
describing the Detroit bus drivers.  The passenger mix was familiar – people  going
to and from work; to and from school; to and from their probation  officer.
The following day I rode  another bus route from the University to within
three blocks of Cobo  Hall.
I  had co-registered for the USSF with my ANM registration.  After checking
in and getting my plastic  orange buckle bracelet, the indication of my
registration, I picked up my tote  bag with the workshops schedule and toured
the large number of information  tables in that auditorium area.  Already
there was a sense of many, many people moving through the  hallways and the
auditorium space.  Reports of attendance I heard were 20,000 or 25,000.  Many
of the groups represented at the  literature tables were familiar; some were
not.  The breadth of what I call progressive  organizations were
represented.  I  wandered down the hallway and eventually found a table off a coffee
bistro where  I could sit down and study the schedule of workshops.  There
were over a thousand to choose  from over the week of events.  I  found a few
in my initial scanning – but they were either back at the University  or on
the following day when I knew I was committed to attend GPUS  meetings.  So
at about 11:00 am I  went for a stroll in the area around the Hall.  Found
office buildings, parking lots, an  ambulance bay and eateries.  When I
returned to Cobo Hall, it was about Noon, where I experienced mild
claustrophobia because the lunch break brought a horde of people to the main  floor where
there were various food services.  I got an expensive pint of mild for
lunch and went to find the location of the afternoon workshop I had agreed to
attend as an assistant for the small group discussion component (more on
that  separately).
I  was given my first item of literature on the bus ride from the airport
by a  distraught woman (early 20’s) who was traveling on her own for the
first time  all the way from Guam.  She had  missed her shuttle connection and
was understandably upset.  The bus driver and I were able to help  her calm a
bit before other passengers boarded.  I picked up a few items from the
literature tables, some more that were just piled around pillars in the main
hallway on the first floor, and off the table where I read the schedule.
They were, not necessarily in  order:
Stop  the military buildup!  Guahan  Coalition for Peace & Justice.
_www.weareguahan.com_ (http://www.weareguahan.com/)
Color  Postcard for “Vietnam: American Holocaust” documentary.
_http://VietnamAmericanHolocaust.com_ (http://vietnamamericanholocaust.com/)
LOWDOWN  – newsprint – News From The Mayfirst/Peoplelink (progressive
internet membership  organization) _http://mayfirst.org_ (http://mayfirst.org/)
Americans  for Informed Democracy information leaflets – college campus
oriented  _www.aidemocracy.org_ (http://www.aidemocracy.org/)
Leaflet  for workshop on “Palestine is STILL the Issue” organized by the
Chicago chapter  of the International Solidarity Movement (for 10 am June
24th)
Two  leaflets from Campaign to Legalize Democracy’s “Move to Amend”
project – re  fighting corporate control via local organizing and local government
 resolutions  _www.MovetoAmend.org_ (http://www.movetoamend.org/)  (also
listed:  _www.WILPF.org/cvd_ (http://www.wilpf.org/cvd)  and
_www.ReclaimDemocracy.org_ (http://www.reclaimdemocracy.org/) )
Leaflet  for workshop and support to fight California prisons ban of the
Revolution  Newspaper _www.PRLF.org_ (http://www.PRLF.org)
I  will bring my tote bag and its contents to the next GPSCC general
meeting on  Wednesday July 7th.
Warner