[GPSCC-chat] Telling It Like it Is in Silicon Valley

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 8 15:53:30 PDT 2010

Discussion at DailyKos  (689 comments):

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/7/7/882399/-Too-Old-For-A-Job,-Too-Young-For-Medicare-Or-Social-Security

Discussion at Democraticunderground:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8709459

   The blessing and the curse in our situation is that so many of the jobs in our economy were discretionary--the purveying of conveniences, luxuries, and wants, not needs--and many of them existed simply because the economic environment at the time made them profitable if not necessarily productive.  I'd hate to see efforts to revive the wasteful and frivolous aspects of our former economy simply because people need jobs.

   On the techscape of course computing power continues to outstrip demand no matter how cheap it gets (at least until the TV/computer convergence comes).  My chief tech wish right now is smarter traffic lights.  We could save fuel and time if traffic lights could look around (sniffing engine RFI perhaps) and stop one to let ten go instead of holding ten to let one through.  Giving preference to hybrids and EVs (and older, more polluting cars) could be programmed into the system too.