[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: Fwd: Why Do You Need Net Neutrality?

Cameron L. Spitzer cls at truffula.sj.ca.us
Thu Jul 15 22:30:03 PDT 2010

"Net Neutrality" means something different every week.  It's
hard to keep up with the advocacy groups that have made it
their career.

Sometimes it means no carrier could interfere with any traffic on
its network, no matter how destructive.  That's the proposal for
the GP-US platform right now.  If it were public policy, the
Internet would be overwhelmed.  The Internet routes around damage,
including censorship, but not if the damage is everywhere.

Sometimes it means cable TV and phone companies wouldn't be
allowed to discriminate against a competitor's data.
That's "common carrier status," like the rule that the phone
company has to let you call any number you want from your
land line.  They're not allowed to block those $100/minute
fraud numbers in the Cayman Islands.  People are smart enough
to avoid those, for the most part.  Maybe they'll be smart
enough to avoid cracked web sites that infect their browsers
with malware, too.

The whole thing smells fishy to me.  Especially when the first
place I ever heard about it from was Wes Boyd's "Moveon.org."
Moveon.org is a spammer.  I got Boyd thrown off his Compuserve
account for spamming, when he was just getting started.
Freepress.net sends spam too.  Spamming is network abuse and if
it were not controlled by the ISPs it would render the
network unusable in a day.  I don't think we should be taking
public policy advice from people like that.

-Cameron