[GPSCC-chat] [Fwd: Re: [SJBP BIRDs] Stop the Ban on Santa ClaraCounty Cycling Events!]

Tian Harter tnharter at aceweb.com
Mon Jun 21 22:37:32 PDT 2010

The time slot we're talking about is the 10AM one. There is a .pdf
of the ordinance on the agenda there, which Toby read and analyzed
below. I read it to, and I came to about the same conclusion, except
that I'm more worried about the "requiring insurance" part than he
seems to be.

Toby Vanderbeek wrote:
> SJBP,
>
> I was going to chime in with the same comment that this Ordinance is
> from the County and only pertains to County Roads, Expressways, etc.
> andall roads in unincorporated areas of SCC. "County Road" is
> different than "road in the county". It does affect the SJBP if we
> ride on any of these Roads. I'm not sure of the implications of merely
> crossing County Roads while we stay on city roads. I'm not an attorney
> nor do I have any legal authority but I have read many of these types
> of documents and have experience interpreting them. I've read all of
> the available documents twice that pertain to this issue and would
> like to point out a few things. Because of the size of the group, we
> would fall into the "Major Special Event" category [Section B3-146
> (h)(3) "Any event on a road involving more than 500 people"] so we can
> ignore the other categories and their implications. My biggest
> concerns with this category is that notification must be made to the
> County no less than 60 days before the event [Section B3-149 (b)] and
> that the permit can be denied for almost any reason. And that any fees
> are "actual cost" which could be huge. (the other categories have fees
> of $98 and $200). And my final concern is that insurance would be
> required [Section B3-155 (a)] which is in itself prohibitive for a
> group like ours. I'll send an email to the County Supervisors asking
> them to reconsider this Ordinance and urge other SJBP members to email
> if they can't make it to the meeting.
>
> It appears by the wordings in several locations that the Board is
> ready to accept this Ordinance; it's up to us to stop it or at least
> ask that they take a look at it from another point of view.
>
> Regards,
>
> Toby

In other words, they are insisting that anything that doesn't give them
60 day notice, fill out a permit request and pay large sums of money
isn't allowed to use the roads. Bike Party is 100% volunteer, so that
kind of organization just isn't part of the mix at this point in time.

Tian

--
Tian
http://tian.greens.org