[GPSCC-chat] Artist needed: 4 puppets?

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu May 6 09:23:28 PDT 2010

Hello, All:

       Do any of you know someone who would be willing and able to
create a drawing of 4 puppets, with the first controlling the second
controlling the third controlling the fourth controlling the first,
crudely similar to the famous staircase drawings by Escher
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascending_and_Descending;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._C._Escher)?

       The image in my mind's eye has the government (puppet 1)
controlling business (puppet 2), which controls the media (puppet 3),
which controls the public (puppet 4), which controls government.  There
are actually 16 different possible connections among these 4 sets of
actors, and all are active to various degrees.  These four are, I think,
the most obvious and least controversial.  Moreover, the drawing would
get too messy and its appeal less universal if we added more than these
four (or a different four).  There is certainly a strong link with
business directly controlling the government through our bribery system
of campaign finance.  However, that link would not work if a critical
mass of the public stopped patronizing commercial media, who gets 75
percent (print media) to  100 percent (broadcasting) of their funding
from advertising or web sites sponsored by big business and instead
found and supported through small donations research into how businesses
make billions from millions in campaign "contributions".

       I have several uses for this art.  The most immediate use is the
May 22 Food for Thought event, for which Tian just distributed a draft
flier.  I'm the primary featured speaker.  I plan to discuss mention
these issues whether or not I have such a drawing.  Second, I want to
write an article describing the phenomena it illustrates.  I think there
is a good chance of getting it published in a respected journal with a
reasonable distribution.  If that fails, we can put it on the web.  In
either case, I believe it will ultimately gain widespread notoriety.  By
giving away rights to copies, I believe there is a reasonable chance
that the artist will be able to sell the original in a few years for a
decent price.  In addition, I think it will provide a platform for
integrating multiple criticisms of our current
political-media-military-industrial complex.

       Thanks,
       Spencer

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD