[GPSCC-chat] campaign to block privatisation of waste water treatment in Novato

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Wed May 19 11:43:41 PDT 2010

First, I have a question.  Why is the Green Party of
Solano County approaching us on this issue?  According
to the map I have looked at, it appears that Novato
is in Marin County.

I see that Novato borders on Solano County, and the
Petaluma River is all or part of the boundary.  So
if the wastewater plant were on the river, there
might be good reason for Solano County to be concerned.
But where does the Green Party of Marin County stand
on this?  I went to http://cagreens.org/marin.  It
redirects me to
http://network.greenchange.org/groups/maringreens
which says nothing about the Novato issue.  Neither
does http://cagreens.org/marin/issues.  (Which does
not redirect, which leads to a whole new question.)

Second, why are they coming this late?  The issue is
on the June 8 ballot, only 20 days away!

Setting all of the above aside.  I am generally
concerned about the privatization of water anywhere.
I expect I would support the Solano County and/or
Marin County in efforts to stop the privatization.

I did look at the novatflow.org website, and it
says that both Paris, France and Petaluma have
kicked out Veolia.  So what is Novato thinking?

All in all, I am confused at the moment, but would
like to know more.  Maybe we could ask the regional
rep for the North Bay?  (email address at
http://cagreens.org/cc/).

Gerry