[GPSCC-chat] high school conpetition

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 4 20:02:19 PDT 2010

Here is an item that should be one of our handouts
at the Junior State event.

It came to me in my county supervisor's - Ken Yeager's - newsletter.

*HIGH SCHOOL COMPETITION TAKES ON CLIMATE CHANGE

*As a member of the California Air Resources Board (ARB), I was excited
to hear the launch of our first annual Climate Generation Program, a
high school competition challenging students to connect environmental
school work with their daily lives. The competition creates an
opportunity for students to gain real-world experience in
project-management and leadership by requiring them to design programs
that reduce their school’s carbon footprint.

The Climate Generation Program is an outgrowth of the British Council’s
Climate Champions program, and is being coordinated in a network of 60
countries. In California, ARB is overseeing the competition.

A new curriculum—known as the California Education and the
Environment Initiative— will be promoted as an important element
of the new Climate Generation program. It was developed to help students
discover how science, history and social science relate to individual lives
and connect to the world around them, focusing on their relationship to the
environment. The curriculum is designed to engage students in a way that
makes learning relevant and fun.

High schools throughout California are eligible to participate in the
Climate
Generation Program. The classroom projects must benefit the school and
relate to energy conservation, renewable energy, water conservation,
transportation, purchasing, facilities, or awareness. Schools can
register now
through December. More information can be found at

http://www.coolcalifornia.org/article/champion-the-cause.