[GPSCC-chat] Notes from General Meeting--December Party!

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Tue Nov 16 14:47:12 PST 2010

November 3, 2010 General Meeting

Present: Dana, Fred, Drew, Cameron, Jim S., Warner, Tian, Gerry, Caroline,
Merriam

Facilitator: Jim S.
Note Taker: Caroline
Timekeeper: Tian
Vibes Watchers: Fred and Dana
Agenda Preparer for next meeting (January): Warner

Announcements:
Fred: people should see "South of the Border"
Tian: A Green got on the Bart board. Several people are on boards of supervisors
Fred: Ben Mansky got 30% or so in his bid
Cameron: he is doing a table of software at the Peace Fair, separate from the
Green table. Drew will help him

Election results:
One of our candidates for state senator did very well. We need to find an issue
we can get behind and make a lot of noise about, for example, corporate
personhood or a new state constitution.
Merriam said there is an issue that is environmental. We had several state
nurseries to grow trees to replace those lost in fires, among other things. The
last one of these, in Chico, is set to be closed down soon. CAlFire was in
charge of this. We had very few fires this year. Why don't we have the money to
keep this going? Private nurseries can't provide the right plants.

Caroline will ask her daughter who works for Fish and Game to get more inside
info on this situation.
Merriam suggested that she, Dana, and Tian take on the project and get in touch
with Canopy, Acterra, Wendee Crowfoot, and the county where the Chico nursery
is.

Fred and Lois have a lot in Shelter Cove in Humbolt county that they are willing
to donate to the Green Party. We need to research building something there.

We need a new Regional Coordinating Council member. Jim S. is planning to move
out of the county. Cindy Asrir is still here, but has stopped coming. We need a
new person. Anybody interested?
Mike Feinstein said we should abandon GPUS. He is still on a lot of GPUS
committees. We need to get people to think about being on this. We just
reorganized with a view to having 24 members, but we are down to about 8. Dana
said 8 is an optimal number for getting things done.

TABLING
Junior State--November 20, 1:15-4:15
Caroline will take the stuff over. Drew and Tian have volunteered. We also have
a high school girl to help Cameron says we should go early to get a good place.

Holiday Peace Fair--December 4, 10:00-4:00
Caroline and Cameron going to planning meeting.
Caroline is taking the stuff. Drew will help set up. Cameron is having his own
table, and Drew will be working with him. Merriam will be there noon to 4:00.
Tian wil help with clean-up and put the stuff in Merriam's car. We could sure
use more people.

HOLIDAY PARTY
We will have a party in lieu of a business meeting in December. It will be at
Fred's clubhouse on THURSDAY, December 2. We will be inviting San Mateo to come,
too. Please come. It's a potluck.

PRIORITIES
We need to get people to register Green. We can get the "Save the Trees" thing
and the "Recycle CD's and DVD's" thing going, have tables at Farmer's Markets to
educate people, and register them at the same time. Other places to approach
people for registration might be the Social Secrity office, one-stop social
service places, and downtown Mt. View on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.
We should have a regular vigil. Perhaps a JOBS vigil, and march down Castro St.

Tian suggested we make a "Thank you" plaque for Laura Wells. Caroline said we
should thank all of the candidates. We should let Laura know we are ready to
help her. We have to do fund raising. Laura needs a campaign  committee.

If the independent parties are to survive at all, we need to band together to
fight Prop. 14 and have it declared unconstitutional. Warner says there doesn't
seem to be a legal attack going. It could take four years.
  Redistricting has to occur in 2011. We should find a place where we would have
a good chance of winning and get a candidate going early.