[GPSCC-chat] need suggestions

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Tue Nov 23 13:46:28 PST 2010

Dear Jim, et al.:

       For content, what about instant runoff / rank choice voting and
the example of the Mayoral race in Oakland?

       It's virtually certain that both of the two major parties want
this example to be suppressed and forgotten -- as do the big money
interests and their lackeys in the commercial media, who don't want an
active and informed citizenry.  I believe most citizens would support
it, because most people honestly believe in democracy.  (For some, they
don't believe in democracy when their side wins.)

       I could help make a trifold as I did for Prop 14, but I'd need
help -- and we can't haggle over the verbiage for a month and have
anything in time for Nov. 30.

       An alternative idea is abusive banking.  The current threats to
the economy of Ireland, Portugal, Spain, and Italy all suggest that the
major banks and speculators are too big and too poorly controlled.  I
also heard that after these latest elections, Republican leaders
announced that top of their agenda was even more welfare for major
banks.  Attached is a plot of profits in the finance industry, which
took a major jump after the repeal of Glass-Stiegel in 1999 and has
since operated mostly between 30 and 40 percent of total US domestic
corporate profits.  (See other comments below.)

       Comments?
       Best Wishes,
       Spencer

#############################

       The attached Excel file plots the profits in the finance industry
(banks, securities, insurance) as a percent of total domestic corporate
profits:  This shows profits in finance starting at 15 percent of total
corporate profits in 1928, dropping to 5 percent one year during World
War II, and gradually drifting up but still around 15 percent during the
Reagan years, then climbing to 25 percent during the Clinton years, then
jumping to a new level after the repeal of Glass-Stiegel to operate
between 30 and 40 percent for most of the past decade.

       I'm embarrassed to admit that my wife and I still bank with Wells
Fargo, primarily because it takes time to find a good local alternative
and work through the details of doing our "due diligence" and then
actually making the transfer.