[GPSCC-chat] suggestions

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu Nov 25 08:43:36 PST 2010

Happy Thanksgiving (Día de Acción de Gracias, in Spanish)

What do you think about a tri-fold using the "No on 14" template,
something like the following:

*** NOTE:  If we are going to have an impact by Dec. 7, we need to move
very fast with this.

HEADLINE:  Dec. 7:  International "Move Your Bank" Day(1)

(1) -> footnote referencing something discussing bank protests in Europe
and elsewhere planned for Dec. 7.

INTRODUCTORY NARRATIVE:  If you don't like your money being used to
destabilize the international economy to make the rich richer and the
rest of us poorer, consider moving your money to purely local credit
unions, savings and loans or banks.

*** Then follow this with a table of local institutions, names,
addresses, web sites, phone numbers AND some symbols that summarize
their investment policies and some assurance that they have NOT been
involved in "liar's loans" and similar abusive practices.

*** OR refer people to a web site that contains such a list.

*** NEEDED:  I need help compiling this list and checking to make sure
that the financial institutions listed are actually clean, i.e., have
NOT been involved in the most egregious, abusive practices.

ADDITIONAL CONTENT:  Then we could say something about the repeal of
Glass-Stiegel and the Republican promise to make further gifts at
taxpayer expense to the financial industry.  This should include, I
think, the plot I previously distributed showing the profits in the
financial sector as a percent of total US domestic corporate profits
jumping from 15 percent historically to between 30 and 40 percent over
the past decade since the repeal of Glass-Stiegel.  We should include, I
think, a reference to bais in the media, e.g., stating that the popular
perception of a liberal bias to the media is equivalent to saying that
the media routinely bites the hand that feeds them.  Then note that
commercial media is a business and lose money when advertisers decrease
their advertising.  The only way the media can survive doing that is by
getting a substantially larger audience, which rarely happens when the
public believes the media have a liberal bias.  Then briefly describe
the Herman and Chomsky worth and unworthy subjects model and reference
Wikipedia articles on media bias.

       Comments?
       Best Wishes,
       Spencer