[GPSCC-chat] Allegations of voter fraud by GOP involving GP

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Tue Sep 7 19:49:38 PDT 2010

p.s.  I agree with Tian.  I recently read Marie-Soleil Frere (2007) The
Media and Conflicts in Central Africa (Lynne Reinner).  The poverty of
central Africa from the Congo to the Central African Republic, including
the genocide in Rwanda, is attributed in part to a system where
journalist are routinely murdered or jailed for "libel", even when there
is substantial justification for what they report.  In 1799, the foreman
of a newspaper, the Argus, was found guilty of libeling Alexander
Hamilton, for printing true statements;  under the laws of New York at
that time, the truth was not relevant in a charge of libel, only that
the report (even if accurately portraying behavior) tended defame the
complainant.  (Rosenfeld, 1997, American Aurora, St. Martin's Press).
And don't forget the Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_and_Sedition_Acts).  We are
extremely fortunate that our current government is not as blatant as
this in their efforts to control the media.  (Instead, the politicians
are puppets of the media, as I've commented on other occasions.)

        To our Democrat friends who complain about Greens "stealing
Democrat votes", the following reply comes to mind:

             1.  I refuse to vote for legalized bribery, which is the
essence of our current system where money wins elections with shockingly
rare exceptions.

             2.  If they believe in democracy, they should vigorously
support ranked choice voting / instant runoff voting.

        Spencer Graves