[GPSCC-chat] Fw: Fwd: RELEASE North Carolina Green & Libertarian Parties file lawsuit for equitable ballot access

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Wed Sep 8 11:45:18 PDT 2010

  Hi, Caroline:

       Do we have serious grounds for a legal challenge to Prop. 14?
I'm not an attorney, so I can't speak on the legal issues.  However, it
takes time and money to fight something in court, and we might be better
off spending that time and money on other things.

       Besides, we may not experience in California what the Green
parties elsewhere experienced from similar legislation.

        In 1993, the ruling party in Canada was almost completely wiped
out in one single election:  Prime Minister Brian Mulroney's policies
became so massively unpopular that he gave his seat to Canada's first
(and so far only) female prime minister, Kim Campbell, who then led her
party not to defeat but virtual extinction in the slightly over 4 months
later (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_Prime_Ministers;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_federal_parliaments).

       The election of 1828 made Andrew Jackson President and marked the
extinction of the Federalist party of Andrew Jackson (and George
Washington).  The Federalists were replaced by the Whigs, who became
extinct a few years later, to be replaced by the modern Republican
party.  If I'm not mistaken, a substantial contributor to both
extinctions was their pandering too openly after the ultra wealthy.

       My point here is that we shouldn't be excessively pessimistic:
If the US economy continues to decline, almost anything could happen.
Either or both of our major parties could become extinct and replaced
either by Libertarians or Greens.

       To strengthen our ability to influence events, I think we need to
find new ways to reach potential voters.  Obama got the Democratic
nomination last year by using the Internet better than his competition.
I think we can reach young people with energy by learning and using the
new web tools they use:  Twitter, Facebook, You Tube, Wikipedia, etc.  I
think we can reach millions with pithy messages relevant to current
affairs on You Tube.  We can influence the face of international
politics via quiet contributions to Wikipedia.  For example, the
Wikipedia entry on "media bias"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_bias) is the only thing I know
that's easily accessible and cites serious research, not just the rabid
rants of Right or Left.  I've already cited that to some of my arch
right wing relatives.

       Comments?
       Spencer

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD