[GPSCC-chat] Agenda Item -- Information re GPUS QPNC Hosting

WB4D23 at aol.com WB4D23 at aol.com
Mon Apr 18 15:50:32 PDT 2011

April 18, 2011

Folks:  I attended a March 31st teleconference held by  the Co-Chairs of
the GPUS Annual National Meeting Committee (ANMC).  The  meeting also included
GPUS activists from Iowa, Maryland, Virginia and North  Carolina.  Possible
sites mentioned in the conversation for the 2012 GPUS  Presidential
Nominating Convention (and GPUS ANM) included unspecified cities in  Iowa,
Maryland, Virginia and Atlanta, GA (and my mention of San Jose,  CA).

Points of presentation addressing some questions GPSCC members  have had in
our previous discussions:  Estimated Budget is in the range of  $50,000 --
less than the $80,000 approximate actual budget required for the  Chicago
2008 convention (that involved change of site) and more than the $30,000  used
as an approximate budget for ANMs without a nominating convention.   The
recommendation for a minimum number of local volunteers was 4-5 and double
that for a QPNC.  There was a strong emphasis on the need for local hosts  to
adequately identify transportation, lodging and food information.

Some specific comments about the Chicago 2008 logistics:   By the time the
National Committee (State GP Delegates) chose Chicago by  vote among
various proposals, the proposed site had been lost due to delay and  not posting a
reservation fee.  The Palmer House, although known as among  the most
expensive convention sites in Chicago, did negotiate discounts with the  ANMC.
The Hostel that was one of the housing alternatives provided a  lesser cost
alternative that helped mitigate attendance expenses, as did Chicago  public
transportation.

The ANMC Chairs requested that proposals be submitted by June  or July at
the latest.  There is a GPUS ANM in August where the ANMC will  report on the
status of proposals.

This morning I spoke with a staff person at San Jose State  University.
She indicated that we would not need a campus organization or  faculty
sponsor, that some dormitory rooms could be available for an event  during the last
two weeks of June 2012, and that an on-campus food catering  contract might
be available even though the student cafeteria would be on a  reduced menu
and schedule during that time.  She said she would send me  some information
by email and do some further checking with her supervisors in  gathering
information (since she was an interim staffer for this  position).

Warner