[GPSCC-chat] Fw: Agenda for April Meeting

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu Apr 28 22:24:31 PDT 2011

On 4/28/2011 3:15 PM, Caroline Yacoub wrote:

>     Green Party General Meeting--April 28, 2011
>     7:00-7:30  socializing, eating, possible two short videos.
>     7:30  establish facilitator, vibes watcher, timekeeper, note
>     taker, and agenda preparer for
>              next meeting (2 minutes)

facilitator:  Jim Doyle
Vibes watcher:  Fred
note taker:  Spencer Graves
timekeeper:  Caroline
next agenda:  Drew

>     7:32   Intro, announcements (8 minutes)

Spencer
Fred
Drew
Werner -
Ajay - trying to start a "Homes not Jails" group in San Jose
Caroline -
Jim Doyle
Jim Stauffer
Valerie Pace
John Thielking: A Question of Power on the action that Diablo Canyon ;
peacemovies.com
Cameron Spitzer
Shirley -

>     7:40   ratify or mess with agenda (2minutes)

OK.

>     7:42   Treasurer's report, pass the hat, fund raising--Jim Doyle
>     (8 minutes)

Balance:  $2,798.

Fund raising:  target:  raise $3,650 in the next year.  volunteers:
Caroline, Valerie, Merriam.

>     7:50   Discussion of Plenary Agenda, vote for platform planks,
>     etc--Warner, Jim S.
>              Caroline (30 minutes)

WERNER:  Met at Werner's house last Sunday.  Jim S., Shirley, Caroline &
Werner.

Werner outlined a procedure.  Candidates should submit written
applications to a committee, etc.
vote of registered Greens:
yes - 6
no - 3
abstain 2
# Conclusion:  2 yes, 1 no, 1 abstain on the proposed procedure.

Green 2012 proposal (14 pages long):  Do the California Greens want a
paid staff?  In particular, should the staff be in charge?  This
proposal was placed onto the agenda by a mysterious process, misdescribed.

3 parts:
1.  voter registration
2.  fund raising
3.  hired staff (in charge?)

Recommendation:  If must vote on the the proposal as a unit:  SC county
should vote NO.  For the 3 parts, the delegates can use their best
judgment.

Cameron is concerned that especially the hired staff component had a
substantive negative impact on the party.

Werner had a concerned that there has not adequate discussion.

Jim S.:  He would vote "yes" on voter registration & fund raising but
"no" on hired staff.

Other decision items:  Votes

Michael Feinstein
Bob Marsh:  County votes "No", but they will still probably get elected.
Joseph Feller:  Jim S. would prefer he not be a representative, who has
been very disruptive.

Two platform issues:  disability & tax policy proposals.

Approval of the annual GPCC budget.

last year expenses $33K;  income:  $32K.  They've got a fund raiser who
has raised $7K in 4 months above our normal fund raising.

Delegates are instructed to use their own best judgment.

>     8:20   Movie nights, Michael Parenti, Sharat--(15 minutes) Merriam

       Merriam:  Next Movie Night:  Friday, May 13.

       John recommended A Question of Power on the licensing of Diablo
Canyon in the early 1980s.  Committee (Cameron, Caroline, Merriam and
Tian) will decide.  Cameron suggested, "The Mouse that Roared".  John
volunteers to serve on the movie committee.

       Michael Parenti:  Friday a week, May 6.  (After Parenti, Jim S.
will take the material to Werner's house.)

       Sharat Lin was in Cairo during the revolution.  He will speak at
Tian's clubhouse.  Saturday, May 21 at 5 PM - 10 PM.

       International House at Stanford:  Call the director and drop some
leaflets?

>     8:35   Feedback from recent tabling event--Jr. State. Earthday,
>     Rainbow Fair.
>              Health Fair, any others? --various

       Caroline's map of the nuclear power plants was a hit.

       Jr. State, Earthday, Rainbow Fair

>     8:45   Future tabling events--Berryessa, Juneteenth, other? Who is
>     in charge,      who is tabling? Who will have the stuff in June?
>     (10 minutes) various

       Berryessa:  Caroline + Werner (AM) + Jim S. (PM)

       Juneteenth:  Merrian + Tian + Tian (Sa + Su, June ~19th).

       May 27:  Gay Day at Great America

       Aug. 20-21:  Gay Pride Festival San Jose

>     8:55   Regional Rep election  (10 minutes) Jim S.

       San Mateo held an election with Werner as the rep, Cindy as
alternate to the State Coordinating Committee.  This decision is tabled
until the Plenary this weekend.

>     9:05    Website enhancement, website committee (10 minutes) Spencer

       Merriam & Caroline have been talking with Tian about getting some
of his photos on it.  Dino also volunteered.

>     9:15   Low power radio --(5 minutes) ?

       Jim Doyle would present an opportunity.  Podcasting.

>     9:20 -- Hosting the GPUS National Meeting?

Volunteers to help organize the GPUS if it comes here:

       Werner, Valerie, Merriam, Drew, Caroline

      + Sanda (San Mateo County)

       San Jose State could supply ~200 room dorm space + meeting space.

       Budget for a presidential nominating convention:  ~$50K vs. $30K
for an off year convention.  Income is structured to be paid by
registrations.  National would be responsible for the money, etc.

       Local would provide gofers, etc., ... .

       Werner wants a general conceptual agreement that Werner is
authorized to prepare a draft proposal.

>     New lit, posters, buttons, schwag (10 minutes) Caroline and whoever
>     0

(next time)

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Operating Officer